AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing in Display for Multi-Device

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am collecting users in a Display Remarketing list based on the rule that they arrived through a campaign for text ads in Mobile Apps. I want to use this list to target just these users but in a normal Display campaign with banners, excluding mobile devices.

Is remarketing going to serve Ads also on desktops if the users visited the site first through a mobile app or with this setup I will likely receive zero impressions from desktops ?

As a more general concept, once a user is added to a Display remarketing list , created with Google analytics, the users can be tracked on any device they access even if it is mobile, tablet or desktop , so now remarketing is multi-device user based ?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Remarketing in Display for Multi-Device

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Correct.

Here's the snippet from our Help Center on some of the limitations of cross-device conversion tracking:

Cross-device conversions, a part of Estimated Total Conversions, are tracked only for AdWords ads traffic on Google.com at this time. We don't currently track cross-device or cross-browser conversions for AdSense for Search, AdSense for Content (including AdMob), Display, or any other Google properties. We're working on solutions to address these other areas.
Not every advertiser will have these estimated conversions because of limited data. For instance, we only show data when we are very confident that our cross-device estimates are highly accurate. In some cases, we'll show a "--" when you might have cross-device conversions, but there isn't enough data for us to confidently make an estimate.

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Adrian,

Technically, cross device is not possible mainly because we currently use cookies to identify the user on both analytics and remarketing and they are limited to browsers. Today we don't have any way to identify that the cookie belongs to the same user when he or she is using other devices, browsers or even the same browser after clearing cache cookies.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello CocoP

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

I was thinking about this problem from the perspective of cross-device conversion count. I thought google could be using the ID of the google account , because on the phone they are logged in (mainly in android devices tablets or mobile) and this could be a method to track them across desktop when users login the same google account. 

So cross-device conversion tracking is possible and cross-device remarketing serving of ads is not yet possible , from what I understand, yes ? Basically I should expect zero impressions on desktops if I use a remarketing list from users who visited just from a Mobile Apps campaign ?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Correct.

Here's the snippet from our Help Center on some of the limitations of cross-device conversion tracking:

Cross-device conversions, a part of Estimated Total Conversions, are tracked only for AdWords ads traffic on Google.com at this time. We don't currently track cross-device or cross-browser conversions for AdSense for Search, AdSense for Content (including AdMob), Display, or any other Google properties. We're working on solutions to address these other areas.
Not every advertiser will have these estimated conversions because of limited data. For instance, we only show data when we are very confident that our cross-device estimates are highly accurate. In some cases, we'll show a "--" when you might have cross-device conversions, but there isn't enough data for us to confidently make an estimate.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh I get it now, so it is only for search not for Display.

Very clear answer, thank you.