AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing by Search Query

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there a way to remarket someone (following them around the content network) based on them searching on certain terms in search.  (At this point they haven't visited your site yet).

I have a client asking about this and would appreciate any insight!

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dana C
September 2015

Re: Remarketing by Search Query

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Dana,

Based on you question, I will have to disagree with my friend Moshe. My answer is "No".

Quoted from the referenced page:
"Remarketing lists for search ads (RLSA) is a feature that lets you customize your search ads campaign for people who have previously visited your site, and tailor your bids and ads to these visitors when they're searching on Google."

There are 2 things you can't do involved with your question.

First, they haven't visited your site, so you can't add them to your remarketing list.

Second, there is no way to discover a users search query in real time, or at any other time. The best you can do is find the keyword on which you bid that triggered the impression. You can do that with a value track value in the destination URL.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Yes;

This is also known as a Remarketing List for Search Ads; (RLSA)

Two prior "conditions"

The user is not logged into a Google account 

The user must first visit your site;

Read more here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dana C
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Dana,

Based on you question, I will have to disagree with my friend Moshe. My answer is "No".

Quoted from the referenced page:
"Remarketing lists for search ads (RLSA) is a feature that lets you customize your search ads campaign for people who have previously visited your site, and tailor your bids and ads to these visitors when they're searching on Google."

There are 2 things you can't do involved with your question.

First, they haven't visited your site, so you can't add them to your remarketing list.

Second, there is no way to discover a users search query in real time, or at any other time. The best you can do is find the keyword on which you bid that triggered the impression. You can do that with a value track value in the destination URL.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Yeah agree with pete. RLSA lists can come handy in so many levels later such as for up selling and cross selling depend on u r product or service however as for u r initial question u cant do it without user visiting u r site.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
To avoid any confusion here; My "Yes" was under the pre-conditions I listed.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you guys so much for your great responses! I didn’t think it was possible, but I just wanted to make sure I hadn’t missed something. When the client asked me I thought, well that WOULD be a cool way to target people! Thanks again for your help, it's very much appreciated!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi, Dana. Apart from what you already found out from the answers provided by my fellow community members, I'd like to add the following: there are such re-targeting solutions, but they are not provided by Google.

Certain retargeting / remarketing companies do have agreements with sites on some content networks and they have their scripts running on those websites. Therefore, whenever somebody searches for something on those websites, their scripts are logging the search queries and are associating them with that visitor's cookie.

From then on, the visitor can be targeted via keywords and shown ads which can lead to your website.

However, this is not a Google AdWords / Google Display Network related solution and I have no idea how wide the reach of the content network logging the search queries and showing the ads is.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, that's great to know!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Sorry about that Moshe, our answers are essentially the same, other than you posted "yes" while I posted "no".