AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing based on time since first visit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up a remarking campaign based on the details below:

They land on first initial landing page. Then we want them to follow 3 different stages that have 3 different ad creatives and landing pages. They are as follows:

Days 1-3 - Ad creative/landing page 1

Days 4-7 - Ad creative/landing page 2

Days 8-14 - Ad creative/landing page 3

I've done research and believe I need to create a custom combination based on cookie expiration dates. However, I am having a hard time wrapping the concept of how this is going to work in my head.

Here’s what I did:
I created a list of all visitors with a 3 day cookie expiration, 7 day expiration & 14 day expiration
I then created 3 separate ad groups with:
The 3 day expiration list - Ad Creative 1
The 7 day expiration with the 3 list excluded - Ad Creative 2
The 14 day expiration with the 3 day and 7 day lists excluded - Ad Creative 3

Once I’ve set this up, will all users who visit the site go through this cycle automatically from the first click on the original landing page? I am having hard time grasping how this will work. This is the first campaign I've had to set up this way.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Andrea

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Andrea,

Your methodology is sound.

However I am unsure what you are trying to achieve. If you wish to know which ads and landing pages work best, you should run them alongside each other in the same campaign, to one remarketing list.

The only reasons I can think of for the 3 different time frames would be showing ad copy in a specific sequence, or if your customers would respond to different messages depending on how long it was since they visited.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your response. Glad to hear my methodology is sound.

The plan is for different messaging depending on how long since they first visited. We want them to go through a cycle. Stage 1 is "research", stage 2 is "benefits" and stage 3 is "closing/sign up."

I feel like this is going to need quite a bit of testing. I think the timeframe between may be too short, but I want to make sure I have a handle on the technical aspect before suggesting any changes.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Your plan is quite common when emailing captured leads. I'm unsure how successful it will be if it requires someone to click on your ads a 2nd, 3rd and 4th time. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi 

i guess you will have to consider the success of the first remarketing ad if it will bring them to do the next intended purpose and then if the second remarketing ad will make them do the next intended purpose and so on