AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing audience member duration / frequency capping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone. I'm trying to decide what the best length of member duration is for my remarketing lists. Just to give you a little background info, we have one list that shows ads for our hotel after they have been to our website and has an average CTR of about 0.96%. We also do marketing for a tour company and show ads for one of their packages to visitors of our hotel's website with an average CTR of 0.62% and we also show those same ads to visitors of their own tour company website which interestingly has a lower CTR of 0.4%.

I have heard from a few friends and coworkers who know about our remarketing campaign that they see the ads a lot. In fact, that they can be annoying. We have the member duration set to 30 days. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions of lowering this number? Or, if anyone has suggestions related to frequency capping.

I greatly appreciate anyone's comments who has experience on the matter.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Keven P
September 2015

Re: Remarketing audience member duration / frequency capping

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Keven,

How have you categorised your Remarketing lists?  It sounds like all your lists are purely people who have visited the site, and that's far from ideal.  Remarketing lists should ideally be formed from visitors who distinguished themselves as important - they put a product in their basket, visited more than N pages, stayed for more than X minutes, viewed the contact page, etc.  Once you have established the reasons why you have added visitors to a particular list, it's easier to think about how long they should stay on that list.

For a hotel, my gut feeling is that remarketing should be fairly short.  Most of us can't afford to go to a hotel whenever we feel like it and even if we can afford it, if we're going to return to the same hotel, we probably already know we're going to do that and don't need to be shown Ads.  So, I'd argue that your primary targets are going to be people looking for a hotel in your area and comparison shopping for a one-off trip and once they've started looking, they're probably going to make a decision fairly rapidly - within a week, say.  So I'd probably leave the lists at 30 days for capturing these one-off buyers.

However, I'd also use lists to Remarket to longer term customers.  Set up a list of all successful bookings and give it a long expiring - say 400 days.  Set up another list for successful bookings and give it an expiry of 350 days.  Create a combination list of the first, excluding the second, and you'll have a rolling Remarketing program of people who booked in your hotel more than 350 days ago (and who may now be ready for a return trip).

Be creative with your lists, not just firing at all visitors.

would recommend using frequency capping.  If someone doesn't respond to your Ad in the first 10 times it's shown to them, they're unlikely to respond at all.  Capping can dramatically improve your CTR and reduce Ad blindness.    

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

To set membership duration I would look at the average time-to-conversion for your site. Maybe it's something you can see in Google Analytics or you can use the AdWords conversion time lag report in the search funnels.

I wouldn't mess with frequency capping, I'd use Conversion Optimize (target CPA or target ROAS) and let the algorithm adjust automatically.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Keven P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Keven,

How have you categorised your Remarketing lists?  It sounds like all your lists are purely people who have visited the site, and that's far from ideal.  Remarketing lists should ideally be formed from visitors who distinguished themselves as important - they put a product in their basket, visited more than N pages, stayed for more than X minutes, viewed the contact page, etc.  Once you have established the reasons why you have added visitors to a particular list, it's easier to think about how long they should stay on that list.

For a hotel, my gut feeling is that remarketing should be fairly short.  Most of us can't afford to go to a hotel whenever we feel like it and even if we can afford it, if we're going to return to the same hotel, we probably already know we're going to do that and don't need to be shown Ads.  So, I'd argue that your primary targets are going to be people looking for a hotel in your area and comparison shopping for a one-off trip and once they've started looking, they're probably going to make a decision fairly rapidly - within a week, say.  So I'd probably leave the lists at 30 days for capturing these one-off buyers.

However, I'd also use lists to Remarket to longer term customers.  Set up a list of all successful bookings and give it a long expiring - say 400 days.  Set up another list for successful bookings and give it an expiry of 350 days.  Create a combination list of the first, excluding the second, and you'll have a rolling Remarketing program of people who booked in your hotel more than 350 days ago (and who may now be ready for a return trip).

Be creative with your lists, not just firing at all visitors.

would recommend using frequency capping.  If someone doesn't respond to your Ad in the first 10 times it's shown to them, they're unlikely to respond at all.  Capping can dramatically improve your CTR and reduce Ad blindness.    

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits