AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing - What kind of setup should we use?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

We want to use remarketing campaigns for both lead generation and direct sales and therefore we've been discussing (also with our developers) on what the best possible setup for us would be.

Let me give a quick description of our website:

We run a news website about the stock market. People can sign up for a free account so they can comment on articles and people can download free ebooks. We use this as lead capture so we can sent them emails every now and then. On top of that we have paid analyses of certain areas on the stock market which people can buy, they will also have an account on the website then.

The main 2 things we want to do:

1. Lead capture: Target people who visit our website but do not have a free account / downloaded an ebook to sign up for a free account or to download an ebook - so we want to exclude our current lead base.

2. Direct sales: Target people who have a free account / downloaded ebook with a special offer - exclude paying customers.

I understand we could upload mailinglists and probably exclude other mailinglists again but we found that if we upload for example 50k emails, Google tells us that the list only includes 25k email addresses, so we don't trust that so much.

My developers recently called the Google helpline for advice recently and they told us to use the 'User-ID' option in GA. I personally do not get it yet how that would work with my remarketing piece. Does anyone here know? Can I set up goals on User-ID data and use that as a remarketing list? Would there be an easier way for us to do the 2 main things that we're trying to do?

Thanks in advance for your help!

M.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Molle D,

Do you now have conversions for both leads and sales?

Here's what I would consider. Create a re-marketing list for all visitors. Create a lead conversion and a sales conversion if you haven't already done so.

For the lead capture re-marketing, exclude the lead conversion and sales conversion. For the direct sales re-marketing, use the lead conversions, exclude sales conversions.

The user-id option in GA allows you to tie a conversion back to the original source. This has to be done when the user is visiting your site, I believe. I haven't looked at that for a while.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, we do measure conversions on both leads and sales, but what do we do with the leads that we already had and that are therefore not on this list?

Molle

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Molle,

I'm afraid there's not much you can do to recover past visits. This all works with cookies that must be set at the time of the visit. The best you can do is start building your remarketing list now.

The problem with email lists is the user must be logged in to Google with that email address. Only people with a Google account can be tracked this way. So, out of your 50k email list it's hard to say how many have Google accounts, and there's no way to identify them if they are not using a gmail address.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords