AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Set-Up!!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My queries with remarketing are –

1. How can I setup remarketing for the different criteria’s  like
    1. I want to re-target visitors to my website who have visited my lading page through  search network ( Google PPC Campaigns)?
    2. How can I re-target the visitors who have visited my homepage ( through organic search or direct visit) but i dont want to target the users who have purchased something from my site?
    3. How can I re-target the visitors who have dropped in the buying funnel?
    4.  & So on..
  2. Do I have to define any rule for this on AdWords and then AdWords will generate a tag for this?
  3. OR I just have to place the tags on specific pages and then I have to define the rules in AdWords?
  4. How & Where in AdWords can I define the rules for this re-targeting needs of mine?

Your time and support are highly appreciated thanks.

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

I don't know if I can answer all your questions here capt...

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

I don't know if I can answer all your questions here captain, but if it's any help, I know very little about this internet marketing stuff, and if I can figure out the basics of remarketing, it ain't as hard as it may seem. Smiley Happy

1.1 -  Targeting only those last clisk attribution visitors (via analytics) from google PPC channels may be difficult. As I understand it, the way remarketing works is - regardless of the entry path (google/adcenter PPC, - Google/Bing/Yahoo organic, etc.) once a user is part of your targeting list, when they are viewing qualified (adsense, double click exchange) placements, your remarketing ads can be eligible to show, if the adrank qualifies (whew!). SO, I don't think you can remarket only to Google users, but I'm sure someone more experienced than I could (and will) correct such a mis-statement.

2.1 -  This is actually really easy, especially if you use adwords conversion code (not e-Commerce, or imported analytics goals). The conversion code can also function as a do / do not serve ads to function of a combination remarketing list. If you do use eCommerce, or imported analytics goals as conversions, then you do have to add a seperate code for that conversion event. But, that is the basic theory of a combination remarketing list.

3.1 -  Good question... I don't know, and I get the feeling no one really does. You have to look at the analytics, etc. and really understand the buying cycle/funnel, and make an educated guess. If, for example -

You do have eCommerce, and you see that you have two purchase time frame peaks (Say), 0-7, and 365+ days. You can set your remarketing lists to target those time frames - Set your list duration to the max 540 days, but exclude the first 365. Or, at least I think you could do that...

There are also theories aplenty regarding frequency capping, and not appearing to "stalk" your audience... There aren't any really clear remarketing "best practices", in this regard, because the purchase funnel is so unique to each advertisier. You are going to have to experiment to figure that out. Smiley Happy

4.1 -  Yeah, exactly... Forgive me for rambling, or not answering the question. It's hard to know where to start, whether asking a question, or trying your best to answer it. Smiley Happy I still have the same questions myself, sometimes it just helps to talk to others who know what you're saying... You know what I'm sayin'? Smiley Happy

2. The remarketing tag, is the remarketing tag. You install that tag on any page you want to make part of the remarketing list, which then targets an audience. You have to create the rules, and the remarketing tag is how the google machine knows which pages "qualify" for those rules(?). Generate the tag, place it on the page(s) you want to be part of the list, then create the list, to target an audience. 

3. I think, yes! The google machine generates the code, then you define the rules. Well put!

4. This is what I struggled with. You would think the help docs would make it clear where you do all this stuff in your account, as of (last year, several months ago?) it did not! Smiley Happy All your remarketing lists are created within the audiences tab, which, you have to enable. Then you will actually see all this remarketing / interest based catagories targeting stuff.

Tom

View solution in original post

Hello rntnrt,   Your questions are well addressed by a ve...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello rntnrt,

Your questions are well addressed by a very informative article written by TC Kim here. Just go through this article and references and let us know if anything else is needed.

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

I don't know if I can answer all your questions here capt...

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

I don't know if I can answer all your questions here captain, but if it's any help, I know very little about this internet marketing stuff, and if I can figure out the basics of remarketing, it ain't as hard as it may seem. Smiley Happy

1.1 -  Targeting only those last clisk attribution visitors (via analytics) from google PPC channels may be difficult. As I understand it, the way remarketing works is - regardless of the entry path (google/adcenter PPC, - Google/Bing/Yahoo organic, etc.) once a user is part of your targeting list, when they are viewing qualified (adsense, double click exchange) placements, your remarketing ads can be eligible to show, if the adrank qualifies (whew!). SO, I don't think you can remarket only to Google users, but I'm sure someone more experienced than I could (and will) correct such a mis-statement.

2.1 -  This is actually really easy, especially if you use adwords conversion code (not e-Commerce, or imported analytics goals). The conversion code can also function as a do / do not serve ads to function of a combination remarketing list. If you do use eCommerce, or imported analytics goals as conversions, then you do have to add a seperate code for that conversion event. But, that is the basic theory of a combination remarketing list.

3.1 -  Good question... I don't know, and I get the feeling no one really does. You have to look at the analytics, etc. and really understand the buying cycle/funnel, and make an educated guess. If, for example -

You do have eCommerce, and you see that you have two purchase time frame peaks (Say), 0-7, and 365+ days. You can set your remarketing lists to target those time frames - Set your list duration to the max 540 days, but exclude the first 365. Or, at least I think you could do that...

There are also theories aplenty regarding frequency capping, and not appearing to "stalk" your audience... There aren't any really clear remarketing "best practices", in this regard, because the purchase funnel is so unique to each advertisier. You are going to have to experiment to figure that out. Smiley Happy

4.1 -  Yeah, exactly... Forgive me for rambling, or not answering the question. It's hard to know where to start, whether asking a question, or trying your best to answer it. Smiley Happy I still have the same questions myself, sometimes it just helps to talk to others who know what you're saying... You know what I'm sayin'? Smiley Happy

2. The remarketing tag, is the remarketing tag. You install that tag on any page you want to make part of the remarketing list, which then targets an audience. You have to create the rules, and the remarketing tag is how the google machine knows which pages "qualify" for those rules(?). Generate the tag, place it on the page(s) you want to be part of the list, then create the list, to target an audience. 

3. I think, yes! The google machine generates the code, then you define the rules. Well put!

4. This is what I struggled with. You would think the help docs would make it clear where you do all this stuff in your account, as of (last year, several months ago?) it did not! Smiley Happy All your remarketing lists are created within the audiences tab, which, you have to enable. Then you will actually see all this remarketing / interest based catagories targeting stuff.

Tom

Ha! I had a feeling someone (Pankaj) else would say it be...

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Ha! I had a feeling someone (Pankaj) else would say it better, before I could get my long-winded response out. Smiley Happy

I have to remember the Wiki articles...

Tom

Few more thoughts.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi rntnrt,

The information and advise presented by Pankaj and Tom are spot on, however I'd like to share a couple thoughts with you as well.

What I have found as the key to making remarketing set-up a smooth process is developing and understanding your strategy first.

As you have mentioned and as it appears you are already exploring this, outline all of the potential remarketing audiences that you think you may want to use, either as a positive list or a negative list.  This can include visitors to landing pages for any and all paid advertising efforts, conversion/purchase completion pages and organic pages among others. 

Once you're comfortable with your plan of attack, then you can move on to create all of your audience lists and install the code on the proper pages.

All of your 'rules' for targeting the audiences will be created using the custom combination lists as described by Tom above and set up in the Audiences tab for each ad group. 

Here are a few other posts/threads I've pulled together recently on remarketing that may be of use - I've added a few links in these posts where appropriate as well:

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Remarketing-Questions/m-p/7444#M587

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Community-lounge/Remarketing-Campaign-Cookies/m-p/7738#M549

Ultimately, remarketing can be as broad or as granular as you'd like it to be, it all depends on what you want to accomplish.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Hi rntnrt,   I don't have any answers for you. Seems this...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi rntnrt,

I don't have any answers for you. Seems this question of yours hasn't been answered:

"How can I re-target the visitors who have visited my homepage ( through organic search or direct visit) but i dont want to target the users who have purchased something from my site?"

I have the same question. Is it possible to create a re-marketing list of visitors from a soutce other than AdWords?

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Tags are tags

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Pete,

Absolutely, you can have you're remarketing audience code anywhere you wish.  Just create your audience, get your code and install it.  I have remarketing code on 'Other' landing pages that are used outside of Google for Advertising.  As well, you can just as easily set up an Organic audience and install the code on your public pages.

I mentioned this in a previous remarketing post, its often overlooked that you can make use of Google remarketing tags across ALL advertising efforts, you're not wedded to Google landing pages.

The key is having the 'purchased/converted' list so you're able to create your custom combination list.

You don't NEED Google clicks to add members to an audience list, all you need is a pageview and the cookie to be added.

Its all in how you organize your audiences.  If set up properly 'No can defend'. haha

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

I think it would be quite simple really... but I could be...

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I think it would be quite simple really... but I could be wrong.

If I set up a duplicate of my home page-  or landing page or whatever, and call it home_adwords.html

I can add rmktg code to that page for a specific audience - i.e. adwords traffic

Then in AdWords I'd change my destination url to be that verison of the page... this way all the traffic that got added to that audience would be aDwords traffic - and, since the page is not accessible from anywhere else on the site (and if I set the robots.txt file to disallow) the no other traffic would find it.

To do the same from other sources -well - this could be done in the same way using the destination urls for any cpc advertising (bing, facebook, etc)..... and for referral traffic (as a group or individually)

organic and direct - I don't see how - but it might be everything left..... after all there are only so many sources....

As far as anyone who dropped out of the purchase process - build a new audience for people whio got to the recipt page of your sales funnel - then it's a case of building a combination list with all of theses (visitors to the site through AdWords, for example) and non of these (people who purchased)

Hope this helps....

Hi stickleback,   Be careful editing robots.txt to block...

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi stickleback,

Be careful editing robots.txt to block your home_adwords.html page. If you block all bots, the AdsBot-Google won't be able to crawl the page and your ad will be disapproved. Be sure to add an exception for the adbot. After editing robots.txt, use Webmaster tools and make sure the adbot can find your page.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Excellent point, Pete   I was trying to cover the idea th...

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Excellent point, Pete

I was trying to cover the idea that you wouldn't ewant Google to index that page since it would defeat the object of the excercise if that page later got indexed and started to turn up in organic results....