AdWords
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Sections in Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Could you please advise which conditions in google analytics remarketing section should i choose, if i want to target people who at least spend 20 second on my website or at least visited 2 pages of my website?

I am a little bit lost in all of these "session duration", "search depth"  and other features.

Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Remarketing Sections in Google Analytics

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for posting! I think you should be able to create a unique list based on Session Duration. You can also choose to create your own remarketing type using Segments (e.g. Users who visited X (or <> X) times - 1 Condition Filter - Include: Count of Sessions equals/less than/greater than N).

Has anyone on the Community set something up something like this before? Can you share any best practices or advice? 

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, Kristina.

Your condition should be "Session Duration >= 20 or Page Depth > 1". Let us know if you've managed to create the segment.

Search Depth is a metric dealing with the average number of pages viewed after a search. So for websites where searches are not tracked it tells you nothing.

P.S. I've just seen @RachelM 's message after I posted. Sorry, took a break for dinner and forgot to refresh the page before answering Smiley Happy.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,

Thank you for the answer. I was confused what time metric is used - minutes, seconds? Like, you are sure that if I put 20 it will mean "seconds"?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your answer. But if i want to collect users from all pages of my website, could i choose only Count of Sessions as a target? Should i also choose " Users who visited X" ? Thank you.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hello, Kristina. When in doubt, here's the reference: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/reporting/core/dimsmets#view=detail&group=session&...
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh, thank you, this is usefull!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I think you're confusing the metrics here. Count of sessions has to do with how many times a user has visited your website at the time the session is recorded. If I visit your website for the first time today, my count of sessions will be 1. If one week from now I'll visit your website again (regardless of which page or section) my count of sessions will be incremented to two.

Please have a look at the reference I've linked to before, because segmenting by using the wrong metrics will do you more harm than good.

On the other hand, if you don't have any events on your website which could be used in order to calculate session duration ( https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1006253?hl=en ) you may as well use the first condition (Session Duration >= 20) only, because that implies a second page view.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Calin for your answer, I still have to learn a lot.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
You're welcome, Kristina. That's what we're here for, to help (and learn in the process as well).

Good luck!