AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Questions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've created two remarketing lists. Do they populate before I add them to an ad group or create a custom combination. I am assuming they will begin to populate as soon as the code is added to the pages. Is that correct?

Also I've read that people create separate remarketing lists for organic, paid search, paid display network. How is this done. I would assume the only way to do that would be to use separate landing pages. Is that assumption correct?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author adbot
September 2015

Re: Remarketing Questions

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi adbot,

Just to elaborate on what purefuzz has suggested.

Yes, definitely set up your audiences and install the remarketing code on your Organic (homepage and internal public pages), Search & Display landing pages as well as your conversion pages (conversion pages only if it works into your strategy). Setting up your lists and installing the code are the first tasks that should be addressed when considering remarketing.  These lists start populating immediately upon installation and can grow whether you are targeting them or not.  For lower traffic sites it’s important that each list/combination list is implemented immediately so they can reach the 100 member threshold needed before ads can be served. 

Don't forget to set up your 'conversion' list(s) too.  By tracking conversions with a separate audience tag, you can then create a custom combination list. For instance: If 'List A' is from a search landing page and 'List B' is from a conversion page.  You can then specify: 'Show these ads to those who have clicked on a search ad (Member of List A) but have not converted (Not a member of List B)'.  By setting up combination lists in this manner, you have the ability to eliminate the showing of ads to those who have already converted, unless of course you'd like them to convert multiple times. You can also use 'purchase' conversion lists as known sales.  Conversion audience lists can be useful in many scenarios.

When I set up remarketing campaigns and when it fits into the existing strategy, I prefer to have every landing page across ALL of my online advertising efforts set up with a specific corresponding audience tag and remarketing code installed on them. In my mind, interest is interest.  If you only ran search campaigns through Adwords and wanted to run a remarketing campaign, you want to reach each and every interest showing person as possible.  There are huge numbers of people who browse sites on the Google Network that are serving our ads.  Some of these people may never actually visit Google.com to see one of your search ads.  These same people could show interest in your product/service in many other ways. Wouldn’t you want them in your remarketing pool?  I certainly do.  Audience tags allow you to target those folks who show interest from multiple sources through an Adwords remarketing campaign.         

Ultimately, you can set up remarketing to be as simple or sophisticated as you'd like, there are numerous strategies that can be employed.  I've seen cases where interest is shown with no conversion, the interest showing person is added to an initial remarketing list.  The person is remarketed to and shows interest again through the remarketing campaign but doesn't convert again. The person then joins a new audience list and is remarketed to for a third time with varying messages and 'deals' for each list.

Obviously, we all want to convert the first time but with remarketing, advertisers can try and try again.  

Some further references if you wish:

Audiences Help Page

Kim Clink's Wiki

Ad Innovations Video

Reach people who visited your site

Inside Adwords Launch Post

Yeah, Ok...I went a bit deeper than requested, got a little carried away.  Just hope it helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Once you add the remarketing tags to the page they will start populating straight away (withing seconds apparently, custom combinations are a few hours).

You can view the number of people in each audience by going to your shared library and selecting audiences.

If you want to target specific search, display etc as you mentioned you would have to have separate landing pages with that specific code on there so they are added to the right audience. You would have to also make sure that the paide search/display landing pages are only accessible from the correct paid ads otherwise you'll get extra people being added to these ausidence lists.

You can create the custom combinations at any time but you still need 100 people in your list for the ads to be shown to them.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author adbot
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi adbot,

Just to elaborate on what purefuzz has suggested.

Yes, definitely set up your audiences and install the remarketing code on your Organic (homepage and internal public pages), Search & Display landing pages as well as your conversion pages (conversion pages only if it works into your strategy). Setting up your lists and installing the code are the first tasks that should be addressed when considering remarketing.  These lists start populating immediately upon installation and can grow whether you are targeting them or not.  For lower traffic sites it’s important that each list/combination list is implemented immediately so they can reach the 100 member threshold needed before ads can be served. 

Don't forget to set up your 'conversion' list(s) too.  By tracking conversions with a separate audience tag, you can then create a custom combination list. For instance: If 'List A' is from a search landing page and 'List B' is from a conversion page.  You can then specify: 'Show these ads to those who have clicked on a search ad (Member of List A) but have not converted (Not a member of List B)'.  By setting up combination lists in this manner, you have the ability to eliminate the showing of ads to those who have already converted, unless of course you'd like them to convert multiple times. You can also use 'purchase' conversion lists as known sales.  Conversion audience lists can be useful in many scenarios.

When I set up remarketing campaigns and when it fits into the existing strategy, I prefer to have every landing page across ALL of my online advertising efforts set up with a specific corresponding audience tag and remarketing code installed on them. In my mind, interest is interest.  If you only ran search campaigns through Adwords and wanted to run a remarketing campaign, you want to reach each and every interest showing person as possible.  There are huge numbers of people who browse sites on the Google Network that are serving our ads.  Some of these people may never actually visit Google.com to see one of your search ads.  These same people could show interest in your product/service in many other ways. Wouldn’t you want them in your remarketing pool?  I certainly do.  Audience tags allow you to target those folks who show interest from multiple sources through an Adwords remarketing campaign.         

Ultimately, you can set up remarketing to be as simple or sophisticated as you'd like, there are numerous strategies that can be employed.  I've seen cases where interest is shown with no conversion, the interest showing person is added to an initial remarketing list.  The person is remarketed to and shows interest again through the remarketing campaign but doesn't convert again. The person then joins a new audience list and is remarketed to for a third time with varying messages and 'deals' for each list.

Obviously, we all want to convert the first time but with remarketing, advertisers can try and try again.  

Some further references if you wish:

Audiences Help Page

Kim Clink's Wiki

Ad Innovations Video

Reach people who visited your site

Inside Adwords Launch Post

Yeah, Ok...I went a bit deeper than requested, got a little carried away.  Just hope it helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you.

I want to set it up as granular as possible to make it more targeted etc