AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Lists in Search vs. Display Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I noticed that while it's possible to target a remarketing list on a campaign level for Search Campaigns, the same cannot be done for Display Campaigns—there, one has to use Adgroup-level targetting. I was just wondering whether there is a specific reason for this?

Thanks for any feedback and best regards,
Dorian

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dorian K
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Correct. Historically, the reason goes back to the  original structure / degisn of RLSA which  was designed as a  combination:  users visited the site (as in classic  re-marketing)  and also continue searching about the same topic.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi @Dorian K

creating a remarketing list for display campaigns can be done through:

Add a remarketing list to a Display Network ad group

To use remarketing lists on the Display Network, add them to ad groups in your "Display Network only - Remarketing" (recommended) or "Display Network only - All features" campaigns. If you create a new remarketing campaign, you'll find an "All visitors" list created for you.

1. Sign in to your AdWords account.
  2. Click the ad group to which you want to add a remarketing list.
  3. Click the Display Network tab.
  4. Click + Targeting.
  5. Click the Add targeting drop-down menu and select Interests & remarketing.
  6. Click the Select category drop-down menu and select Remarketing lists. Existing remarketing lists are displayed.
  7. Click the double arrows » next to each list you want to add to the ad group. Once you add a list, it's displayed in the "Selected" column.
  8. When you're done, click Close and Save.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454003?co=ADWORDS.IsAWNCustomer%3Dfalse&hl=en

regards,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zaby,

thanks for your answer. However, in the steps that you list, number 2 talks about selecting an ad group where the remarketing list should be used. My question specifically pertains to the ability to use an audience at the campaign level, which does not seem to be possible for Display campaigns.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Dorian K;

RLSA can be set either at the campaign level or at the ad-group level.

Read more:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7068417?hl

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi MosheTLV,

thanks for the link, but I believe this article ("Set up your remarketing lists for search ads campaign") is only about Search campaigns. In Display campaigns, it doesn't seem to be possible to add a remarketing list at the campaign level.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dorian K
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Correct. Historically, the reason goes back to the  original structure / degisn of RLSA which  was designed as a  combination:  users visited the site (as in classic  re-marketing)  and also continue searching about the same topic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Alright, that I can understand. I still feel that sometimes it might come in handy to target a whole Display campaign to the same audience, and was wondering whether there is a conceptual difference that prevents this setting. But I'll mark your answer as the correct one, thanks!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Dorian K;

This is a good point. I will bring it to the attention of the display product manager.