6.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing - Image or Text

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello AdWords ppl,

I have limited budget for remarketing 10-20€/day.

Should I use image or text ads?

Thanks

- Lukas
3 Expert replyverified_user

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lukas Melichar
September 2015

Re: Remarketing - Image or Text

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Lukas.

Image ads convert better, because text ads get all squished in 3 lines from different publishers.

<This sentence has been removed by a Community Manager>

If you have the time, do it fast using the Display Ad Builder.

http://www.google.com/ads/displaynetwork/build-your-ads/display-ad-builder.html

and than learn to measure the data

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456138?hl=en

Best of Luck !

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Lukas, with respect to Adrian, I don't think you can ever say in one sweeping statement which type of Ad works best; if we were able to do that our work would be a lot simpler.  I'd like to pick up on something else first though...

"I have a limited budget for remarketing..."

This is something I rant about a lot, so I'll apologise in advance.  Budgets are decided by Return on Investment, not what you can afford.  Simply put, if your Campaign is successful you'll be making a positive net Return on Investment (ROI) so your budget for that Campaign is effectively unlimited.  It's only practical limits are your cashflow and the actual available market.  If you Campaign isn't successful, you shouldn't be spending any money at all!

The only times where a "fixed" budget come into play are where you're setting up a new Campaign and have no data to work with (i.e. no idea yet of success) or where you're deliberately spend on brand awareness and know that the Campaign is likely to run at a loss.

OK, I'll put that to one side.

On the image/text issue.  Yes, I'll agree that a good image Ad can be more effective than a text Ad but there are a few things to consider.  Firstly an image Ad has to "own" an entire text Ad block so it's CPC can be higher than text Ads.  Secondly, not all websites accept image Ads and those that do may limit where they can be shown whereas all AdSense enabled sites accept text Ads.  Finally, the keyword here is "good".  Creating a good image Ad is actually quite hard and while the Display builder does help, it's still possible to make a hash of things.  Text Ads are much easier to write and much more forgiving.

The second point above is especially important when looking at remarketing.  If you're only targeting on an audience alone (i.e. no keywords, no managed sites, just a list of site visitors, for example) you have no control over which sites they'll visit and where your Ads could be shown.  If you choose to run only image Ads and one of your remarketing targets visits only sites that run text Ads you've effectively lost the opportunity to target that person.

As with all things AdWords, testing shows all.  I'd run multiple Ad Groups to test performance over time - and make sure it's a reasonable time, remarketing can have quite a long time lag - and let the data answer the question.

Jon

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Is the price of image ad an issue ? No, because you bid. An image ad on one site can be as expensive to run as a text ad on another site in the display market, regarding to their traffic and position on page so....

You cannot run test on a remarketed list because testing means identical set of initial conditions both for text ads and for image ads, and you cannot force the remarketed visitors to visit the same website which has both types of ads AT THE SAME TIME to make a comparison. Adsense only allows for 1 type commercial ad from 1 sourse per visit, or to make a comparison you will have to display on the same partner website a text ad and an image ad at the same time.

Let's take a look at some tests already been done in general , with identical initial conditions, in this article

http://www.ppchero.com/image-ads-why-bother/

Their conclusion is ..... surprize :

Is average cost per click lower for image ad groups?

Usually! Average cost per click is lower and average position higher for the lower cost in our image ad groups.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
@Lukas M - @Begoña A 's comment is aimed at @Adrian B 's clearly sexist remark in his first reply - not to you....

Adrian - I would politely suggest you edit your post so as not to offend.

All Replies
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Lukas.

Image ads convert better, because text ads get all squished in 3 lines from different publishers.

<This sentence has been removed by a Community Manager>

If you have the time, do it fast using the Display Ad Builder.

http://www.google.com/ads/displaynetwork/build-your-ads/display-ad-builder.html

and than learn to measure the data

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456138?hl=en

Best of Luck !

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Lukas, with respect to Adrian, I don't think you can ever say in one sweeping statement which type of Ad works best; if we were able to do that our work would be a lot simpler.  I'd like to pick up on something else first though...

"I have a limited budget for remarketing..."

This is something I rant about a lot, so I'll apologise in advance.  Budgets are decided by Return on Investment, not what you can afford.  Simply put, if your Campaign is successful you'll be making a positive net Return on Investment (ROI) so your budget for that Campaign is effectively unlimited.  It's only practical limits are your cashflow and the actual available market.  If you Campaign isn't successful, you shouldn't be spending any money at all!

The only times where a "fixed" budget come into play are where you're setting up a new Campaign and have no data to work with (i.e. no idea yet of success) or where you're deliberately spend on brand awareness and know that the Campaign is likely to run at a loss.

OK, I'll put that to one side.

On the image/text issue.  Yes, I'll agree that a good image Ad can be more effective than a text Ad but there are a few things to consider.  Firstly an image Ad has to "own" an entire text Ad block so it's CPC can be higher than text Ads.  Secondly, not all websites accept image Ads and those that do may limit where they can be shown whereas all AdSense enabled sites accept text Ads.  Finally, the keyword here is "good".  Creating a good image Ad is actually quite hard and while the Display builder does help, it's still possible to make a hash of things.  Text Ads are much easier to write and much more forgiving.

The second point above is especially important when looking at remarketing.  If you're only targeting on an audience alone (i.e. no keywords, no managed sites, just a list of site visitors, for example) you have no control over which sites they'll visit and where your Ads could be shown.  If you choose to run only image Ads and one of your remarketing targets visits only sites that run text Ads you've effectively lost the opportunity to target that person.

As with all things AdWords, testing shows all.  I'd run multiple Ad Groups to test performance over time - and make sure it's a reasonable time, remarketing can have quite a long time lag - and let the data answer the question.

Jon

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Is the price of image ad an issue ? No, because you bid. An image ad on one site can be as expensive to run as a text ad on another site in the display market, regarding to their traffic and position on page so....

You cannot run test on a remarketed list because testing means identical set of initial conditions both for text ads and for image ads, and you cannot force the remarketed visitors to visit the same website which has both types of ads AT THE SAME TIME to make a comparison. Adsense only allows for 1 type commercial ad from 1 sourse per visit, or to make a comparison you will have to display on the same partner website a text ad and an image ad at the same time.

Let's take a look at some tests already been done in general , with identical initial conditions, in this article

http://www.ppchero.com/image-ads-why-bother/

Their conclusion is ..... surprize :

Is average cost per click lower for image ad groups?

Usually! Average cost per click is lower and average position higher for the lower cost in our image ad groups.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian, all valid points, but again you're talking about generalisations, not the specific case of the original poster.  All the "can be", "generally" and "usuallys" in the world can count for nothing when you deal with a specific Account, website and targeting options.  However, that said:

"You cannot run test on a remarketing list"

Of course you can!  What you're suggesting applies equally to any Display or Search Campaign where your Ads are not always shown to the same people at the same time.  If you run two Ad Groups in a remarketing Campaign and one contains image Ads, the other text Ads, and after three months the metrics for one group or another are statistically significant I'd say that's a test, wouldn't you?  Any time you change the copy of an Ad or its image or targeting, you're performing a test of some kind and this applies just as much to remarketing as any other form of advertising.  You're asking the question "Has what I've changed made things better or worse?" or, in this case "Over a period of time, does this Group perform better than this Group?".

Again, image Ads may well usually be a lower cost per click, but usually is not "always" and cost-per-click is only one factor, possibly even an irrelevant one in some eyes.  This notwithstanding, the other issues still apply - not all sites take image Ads, with remarketing you have no control over which sites are targeted (unless you have a very specific target set) and image Ads have to be high quality.

You appear to be trying to justify your post - you don't have to, it was perfectly valid, just in my opinion too firm a statement that suggested there was no other solution.  Image Ads may well perform better than text Ads for Jeremy but it's important not to think in terms of absolutes.  AdWords is a product that changes constantly and there is no such thing as the "right" way to do practically anything.

Jon

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

My intention was to encourage Lukas to continue his hard work of creating Image Ads , because i have read his earlier posts where he asks about Image ads twice, which means he is already half-way to creating text ads.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Banner-size/m-p/143344#M13346

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Image-Ad-Under-Review-Pause/m-p/143662#M13382

In the second post he says "Sorry Im just under time pressure so I dont have time to test it" , this is why I did not try to encourage testing.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Jon

Budgets are decided by Return on Investment, not what you can afford

I do it for one company and they are not "flexible", my budget depends on months results. ROI is good but they dont care Smiley Happy 

What you said is clear to me. I understand that images ads are not suported at all webpages.... I wanted know more about your experience. Because I dont think with so low budget I can split it and test it. I mean its possible but time consuming and maybe in my case no so effective.

Thank you

- Lukas

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Not only is your answer not accurate, but also sexist and offensive to women. Did you really need to make that **bleep**ty "metaphor" to illustrate your point?

I agree with Jon, you can only test and see what`s better for your customer. In many cases I get better conversion rates from text ads. See? Don't judge girls or even people by their looks, judge them by their "performance"

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Now after some experience I can say what I expect what should perform better, but I wold need to define more conditions.
This is about market and not about what we think about people / women in picture (Im not sure what you mean by performance in this case). I did also a lot of campaigns for women and I tell you, use natural beautiful women (no barbie) it has best CPA. I did test between casual girl, naturally beautiful girl, "barbie" and celebrity.
- Lukas
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
@Lukas M - @Begoña A 's comment is aimed at @Adrian B 's clearly sexist remark in his first reply - not to you....

Adrian - I would politely suggest you edit your post so as not to offend.
Experts in the Topic
stickleback
Jon_Gritton
KathleenG