AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Help

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I've just started a Remarketing campaign and am working to get the proper code on my website.

I keep coming across these errors when I use the Google Chrome Tag Assistant - "Missing CDATA comments" & "No HTTP response detected".

I have been following the advice from this page: https://support.google.com/tagassistant/answer/2978937#cdata_comments

I've tried changing the <![CDATA[  to  /* <![CDATA[ */

and I'm still getting the same error message. I also have no idea what the "No HTTP repsonse detected" is or how to fix it.

Any information or insight would be a huge help!

Thank you

and I change the    / <![CDATA[ / 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Remarketing Help

Eva Rising Star
Rising Star
# 2
Eva Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi Leah, 

What's your website? it's hard to tell whether you have a mistake in the tagging code if there is no code providedSmiley Happy

Regards,
Eva

Remarketing Help

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Eva,

Here's the code I'm using 

<!-- Google Code for Remarketing Tag -->
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<script type="text/javascript">// <![CDATA[
var google_conversion_id = 863398195;
var google_custom_params = window.google_tag_params;
var google_remarketing_only = true;
// ]]></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="//www.googleadservices.com/pagead/conversion.js"></script>
<noscript>&lt;div style="display:inline;"&gt; &lt;img height="1" width="1" style="border-style:none;" alt="" src="//googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/viewthroughconversion/863398195/?guid=ON&amp;amp;script=0"&gt; &lt;/div&gt;</noscript>

I keep changing the / <![CDATA[ /  to /* <![CDATA[ */ and it keeps going back to / <![CDATA[ /

Thanks!

Re: Remarketing Help

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Also, on the audiences section of my adwords account, I've seen this 

adwords.PNG

Is this something that I need to fix? Are custom parameters necessary? 

Thanks!

Remarketing Help

Eva Rising Star
Rising Star
# 5
Eva Rising Star
Rising Star

@LEAH K, you should prevent changing the /* <![CDATA[ */  to / <![CDATA[ /. Maybe, you should try using another code editor?

Other than that I am not seeing any mistakes here. 

Custom parameters are necessary for Dynamic Remarketing. 

Do you have Analytics account? Is it linked to your Adwords? If it's the case, you can create a remarketing list in your GA and it will be transferred to your Adwords campaigns. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2611404?hl=en

Regards,
Eva

Remarketing Help

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Leah,

What are you using for CMS (WordPress, Drupal, etc). It looks to me like whatever system you are using is changing the code that you paste in. In particular, the noscript portion of the code will not work as shown. That leads me to believe other parts of your script are being changed. If this is WordPress, put the code in a PHP widget, then add it to your pages. I'm not sure what to do with other CMS.

Did you clip this code from a rendered page?

This: /* <!<CDATA[ */

is the same as this: // <!<CDATA[ 

But this won't work: / <!<CDATA[ /

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Remarketing Help

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Pete,

We use Blackbaud for our website. It works in parts, not code, so the only way I can edit code is through the Template editor. It looks like it keeps changing the code.

I was told I can set up retargeting through our Google Analytics account, so I'm going to give that a try.

Thanks!

Remarketing Help

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Eva!

Yes, we have an Analytics account that's linked to Adwords. So I'll give that a try. For our Analytics account, I have a filter set up so it blocks out internal traffic by excluding the hostname (since the marketing team visits the site so much and it can skew results). Can we use this filtered view for Remarketing? That way we don't keep retargeting employees. But I'm assuming I can also do that by putting employee emails in the campaign exclusion list. 

Thanks

Remarketing Help

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

Hi Leah,

No need to worry about the custom parameters...that is only for dynamic remarketing for ecommerce.  As for the "No http response", it means its detected the tag but its not firing.  Sometimes that happens if you place the code incorrectly on the page or if there are issues with page load or page load speed.  Also, you may experience this if your page is https.

Kyle