AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing - Difference between "per session" & "per user"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When setting up a remarketing list within Google Analytics there is an option for "per session" and "per user".

What is the difference?

For example if a filter is set up as Revenue ... Per Session ... <= $0

how would remarketing be served?

Would this filter show remarketing to people who didn't convert on the last session, didn't ever convert, had one session that didn't convert (but maybe did in another session), or something else?

If it was set to Revenue ... Per User ... <=$0

I assume this would show only to visitors who never converted?

Thanks! 

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chad B
September 2015

Re: Remarketing - Difference between "per session" & &qu

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Chad,

Revenue ... Per Session ... <= $0
had one session that didn't convert (but maybe did in another session)

and Revenue ... Per User ... <=$0
unique visitors who never converted

regards,
Rahul Goel

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi, Chad.

Remarketing in Google Analytics has a parameter called "look-back window" (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2611820?hl=en)

Let's say that a user visits your website today and purchases something worth 55 $. Two days from now you create a remarketing list that wants to target users who spent more than 50$ on your website.

The user who bought something two days before you created the list comes back one day after you created the list and does not purchase anything.

At this point, if you created the list with a session condition, that user will not be added to the list. That is because during her current visits, she didn't purchase anything.

However, if your condition is user-based, she gets added to the list because she did purchase something at a date which is still within the look-back window.

In your first example, if you apply a session condition, all users who did not buy anything during the current visit will be added to the list. But it may show to people who purchased something a few days ago and then returned and did not purchase anything.

If you apply a user condition, only users who did not convert during any visit within the look-back window.

Session conditions only check for the condition being met during that session (formerly visit). User conditions look at the user history, for the period of time defined in the look-back window.

It's something like purchase discount versus customer loyalty discount. 10% off on any purchase over 100$. That's a session condition. An additional 10% off for all customers with accumulated purchases of 500$ or more in the last 3 months is a user condition.

Hope I'm making some sense.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Chad,

Revenue ... Per Session ... <= $0
had one session that didn't convert (but maybe did in another session)

and Revenue ... Per User ... <=$0
unique visitors who never converted

regards,
Rahul Goel

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi, Chad.

Remarketing in Google Analytics has a parameter called "look-back window" (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2611820?hl=en)

Let's say that a user visits your website today and purchases something worth 55 $. Two days from now you create a remarketing list that wants to target users who spent more than 50$ on your website.

The user who bought something two days before you created the list comes back one day after you created the list and does not purchase anything.

At this point, if you created the list with a session condition, that user will not be added to the list. That is because during her current visits, she didn't purchase anything.

However, if your condition is user-based, she gets added to the list because she did purchase something at a date which is still within the look-back window.

In your first example, if you apply a session condition, all users who did not buy anything during the current visit will be added to the list. But it may show to people who purchased something a few days ago and then returned and did not purchase anything.

If you apply a user condition, only users who did not convert during any visit within the look-back window.

Session conditions only check for the condition being met during that session (formerly visit). User conditions look at the user history, for the period of time defined in the look-back window.

It's something like purchase discount versus customer loyalty discount. 10% off on any purchase over 100$. That's a session condition. An additional 10% off for all customers with accumulated purchases of 500$ or more in the last 3 months is a user condition.

Hope I'm making some sense.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.