AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Campaign showing ads to new visitors also!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a remarketing campaign setup with a Remarketing List for all the visitors who visit the website. The display targeting settings are as follows :

Target: Specific Reach, Placements and Remakerting.

According to this setting, the campaign should show ads only to people who are in my Remarketing List and who match the placements.

However, in our in house system and also in Analytics , there are visitors whose first click has been through the remarekting campaign, which should not be the case. First click has to be some other source, and then the visitor could have come through the remarketing campaign. In mutlichannel funnels and in my in house attribution system, the remarketing campaign has quite a few First click Attributions

Can somebody guide me through this ? What am I doing wrong ? Is there any specific setting which is displaying ads to first time visitors also ? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Remarketing Campaign showing ads to new visitors also!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yup, I have separate camapign, ad groups and ads for Remarketing. The only issue being those ads being shown to a completely new visitor.

Anyways, Thanks for the Inputs. Much appreciated.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey,

Go to the "display network" label in your ad-group and make sure you don't have:

• keywords
  • placements
  • topics
  • Interests

The only thing you need to choose is the "remarketing list".

Good Luck,

Asaf

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

I am not sure how you have set up the combination lists for your remarketing audiences.

If you want old users to be in the list and only they should be able to see your ad and not the new users, you will have to set up custom combinations lists to accomplish that.

You can read more about this here. Also see the different remarketing strategies here.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

asafpaz wrote:

Hey,

Go to the "display network" label in your ad-group and make sure you don't have:

• keywords
  • placements
  • topics
  • Interests

The only thing you need to choose is the "remarketing list".

Good Luck,

Asaf

Selecting only remarketing as the targeting is not an option, since I want the targeting to be Managed Placements AND Remarketing i.e show ads to people only on those selected placements.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Custom Combinations would be of use if I have more than 1 remarketing list. I just have a single remarketing list. How would it make sense in that case ? Could you please elaborate.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello,

In that case, you will have to first create remarketing list of users who have already converted and then exclude those segment of users using the Custom combination list. You can follow the process of creating custom combination list in the link I provided above.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Pankaj,

Guess you misunderstood my question. My question is according to the Display Targeting, the ads would be triggered only for people who match the Placements+Remarketing Audience. The bids would be decided by the Placement and the audience would be decided by the list. Now, since this is a remarketing list,it would only contain users who have visited the website once, after which their cookie would be updated and they would be added to the list.

So, it is not possible that a user who has never visited our website can see the ad on say moneycontrol.con, which is happening in my case. The first click can never be from the remarketing campaign since it is meant for repeating visitors.

I hope you got my question.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello,

There might be some issue with your remarketing list, tags or ads which you are targeting. You can read this article to diagnose that.

Additionally, I would like to add that it's better to create new set of ads for the remarketing campaign because the users have already visited your site at least once and if you could offer some new schemes for them, chances of getting conversions would increase.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yup, I have separate camapign, ad groups and ads for Remarketing. The only issue being those ads being shown to a completely new visitor.

Anyways, Thanks for the Inputs. Much appreciated.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Anshul, did you manage to find out what was going on? Im having the same issue with my remarketing campaigns