AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Burning...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see a lot of people saying this is a best practice, which makes sense but the majority of articles referring to the burn pixel are from 2011 or before. Using segments in GA I will exclude anyone that converts in my audience - is this removing anyone that converts in my segment though? Once they become part of my remarketing audience, do they get removed once they convert, if not how do i do this.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dan P
September 2015

Re: Remarketing Burning...

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Suppose you create a "not converted" remarketing audience - based on a segment or directly - that includes all people that visited page x but did not convert.

You create a remarketing campaign in AdWords based on this audience and it will of course exclude all people that did convert.

Problem: Someone from that audience sees your remarketing ad, clicks on it and converts. That person will stay a member of the "not converted" audience for the remainder of the cookie lifetime and might for example see your remarketing ad again, although he/she already converted.

Solution: create a second audience "converted" in analytics with only the converters and add this audience as a negative (excluded) audience in your remarketing campaign. AdWords will show your remarketing ads to people in the "not converted" audience but not if they're a member of the "converted" audience, solving your problem.

As far as I know, the technique with the burn pixel is used for other remarketing platforms, where retargeting happens based on pixels seen. Not necessary for AdWords & Analytics.

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hi Dan,

Instead of using a burn pixel, you could create a second remarketing list in analytics consisting of all people that converted, then load that list as a negative audience in your remarketing campaign. This will exclude all converters from being targeted by your remarketing campaign.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Correct me if I am wrong but with segmentation thru GA wouldn't my list already exclude anyone that has purchased? If i setup a list for all users that came to my site, but excluded anyone that has converted. Once someone clicks on my remarketing ad and converts i need them to be removed from that list and placed on a different list.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dan P
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Suppose you create a "not converted" remarketing audience - based on a segment or directly - that includes all people that visited page x but did not convert.

You create a remarketing campaign in AdWords based on this audience and it will of course exclude all people that did convert.

Problem: Someone from that audience sees your remarketing ad, clicks on it and converts. That person will stay a member of the "not converted" audience for the remainder of the cookie lifetime and might for example see your remarketing ad again, although he/she already converted.

Solution: create a second audience "converted" in analytics with only the converters and add this audience as a negative (excluded) audience in your remarketing campaign. AdWords will show your remarketing ads to people in the "not converted" audience but not if they're a member of the "converted" audience, solving your problem.

As far as I know, the technique with the burn pixel is used for other remarketing platforms, where retargeting happens based on pixels seen. Not necessary for AdWords & Analytics.