AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Burning...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see a lot of people saying this is a best practice, which makes sense but the majority of articles referring to the burn pixel are from 2011 or before. Using segments in GA I will exclude anyone that converts in my audience - is this removing anyone that converts in my segment though? Once they become part of my remarketing audience, do they get removed once they convert, if not how do i do this.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dan P
September 2015

Re: Remarketing Burning...

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Suppose you create a "not converted" remarketing audience - based on a segment or directly - that includes all people that visited page x but did not convert.

You create a remarketing campaign in AdWords based on this audience and it will of course exclude all people that did convert.

Problem: Someone from that audience sees your remarketing ad, clicks on it and converts. That person will stay a member of the "not converted" audience for the remainder of the cookie lifetime and might for example see your remarketing ad again, although he/she already converted.

Solution: create a second audience "converted" in analytics with only the converters and add this audience as a negative (excluded) audience in your remarketing campaign. AdWords will show your remarketing ads to people in the "not converted" audience but not if they're a member of the "converted" audience, solving your problem.

As far as I know, the technique with the burn pixel is used for other remarketing platforms, where retargeting happens based on pixels seen. Not necessary for AdWords & Analytics.

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hi Dan,

Instead of using a burn pixel, you could create a second remarketing list in analytics consisting of all people that converted, then load that list as a negative audience in your remarketing campaign. This will exclude all converters from being targeted by your remarketing campaign.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Correct me if I am wrong but with segmentation thru GA wouldn't my list already exclude anyone that has purchased? If i setup a list for all users that came to my site, but excluded anyone that has converted. Once someone clicks on my remarketing ad and converts i need them to be removed from that list and placed on a different list.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dan P
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Suppose you create a "not converted" remarketing audience - based on a segment or directly - that includes all people that visited page x but did not convert.

You create a remarketing campaign in AdWords based on this audience and it will of course exclude all people that did convert.

Problem: Someone from that audience sees your remarketing ad, clicks on it and converts. That person will stay a member of the "not converted" audience for the remainder of the cookie lifetime and might for example see your remarketing ad again, although he/she already converted.

Solution: create a second audience "converted" in analytics with only the converters and add this audience as a negative (excluded) audience in your remarketing campaign. AdWords will show your remarketing ads to people in the "not converted" audience but not if they're a member of the "converted" audience, solving your problem.

As far as I know, the technique with the burn pixel is used for other remarketing platforms, where retargeting happens based on pixels seen. Not necessary for AdWords & Analytics.