AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Best Practices?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I see there is a lot of good posts on Remarketing, but there a couple questions I have yet to figure out.

First:

A user is on two different Remarketing lists (say they visited product line A, and product line B, with different Remarketing codes), and each list is targeted in its own campaign. Now the user visits a site in the GDN.

All other things being equal (bids, budgets etc), which Remarketing list will trigger the ad?

Second:

I see that many advertisers wants to target users from Organic, Search and other sources with different remarketing lists.

What are the advantages of this set up? When would you want to target users from Organic and Search with separate marketing messages?

If you combine this need and the need for unique lists pr product/product line, then the amount of lists gets really huge, and you´ll just spend a lot of time managing lists (total amount of lists =  no. of sources X  no. of products).

To me, it doesnt make much sense if they came from Organic or Search, what is interesting is what page they visited - what intent the user had, what product or service they showed interest for.

So, Remarkting by traffic source, you do it because:

• You are a search geek and it is cool?
  • You are an agency, it impresses the client and you can charge more hours?
  • The advertised site has a specific business need that must be addressed this way?

Your thoughts on this are very welcome!

Best

Håvard

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author havardo
September 2015

Re: Remarketing Best Practices?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Harvardo,

In the case of everything being the same (which is close to impossible) I don't think either would take priority and it would possibly rotate between the two. I'm not certain though, you've stumped me on that one! Smiley Wink

I have ran remarketing with paid and organic seperately in the past and seen no difference whatsoever. The only thing that would justify this is, as Kim pointed out, there was for whatever reason a significant difference in performance between paid and organic results. If this was the case then I would recommend spending time analysing the traffic to find why there is such a difference in performance and use findings to improve performance.

In regards to PPCBossman the e-mail marketing was an example for where the offer would be exclusive to subscribers only and therefore we wouldn't remarket to visitors from other sources. All in all I probably wouldn't recommend targeting based on sources because its too much management and as long as you take a holistic approach to marketing, ensuring all traffic to the site is as relevant as possible, then it wont make much of a difference.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Luke Raper

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

H again Håvard,

I run several Remarketing Campaigns and with one client see direct conversions at 1/2 the cost of our AdWords traffic cost per conversion.   Conversion rate is double on remarketing traffic compared to search and partner network adwords traffic.

Brand name search volume has doubled - looking with Google Analytics it is doubled in organic and adwords related brand search and their conversion for adwords branded search is doubled and dropped by almost 1/2 cost per conversion comparing branded traffic patterns previous to the Remarketing campaign.

I would need to adjust for the initial click on the remarketing traffic - as in take into account if there was a cost associated with the original visit that got them included on my remarketing list.  With adwords source traffic and remarketing you are generally paying for two clicks 1 to get you on the list and the second on the remarketing ads (unless you have a phone number in your ads).   I can't really get that granularity because I don't know exactly the source for all the traffic i.e. organic, direct, paid, etc...  I guess this is a good reason to setup organic vs. adwords remarketing lists because it makes it easier to analyze ROI down to the pennies Smiley Wink as in the cost per remarketing conversion minus the initial cost of the click, or maybe an average CPC would be what you would deduct, no way to know the actual CPC for each individual adwords audience list member.  

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Havardo,

Hope all is well!

The answer to the first question is the ad with the better quality score would be shown. Personally what I do is prioritize the lists to decide which ad I would rather show. Then I would use a custom combination to ensure that the most important ad is served. For example...

If you decide list A takes priority over list B then you can create a custom combination that says 'include all these audiences' for list B but 'exclude these audiences' list A. This means when a user has been on both then list A will take priority.

With regards two your second question... I agree with you that there is no significant difference when splitting out paid or organic lists. Remarketing is targeting based on what the user has previously visited on your site and from that you can create relevant advertisements. The traffic source the visitor used on their original visit seems irrelevant to me. The only time I could see it's relevancy is that if you have an e-mail marketing system and send out an e-mail to subscribers that offers a discount or promotion exclusive to subscribers then you could serve remarketing ads with the same discount or promotion to the people that clicked through the e-mail.

I hope you find this useful, if you would like to chat further then please feel free to friend me!

Cheers,

Luke Raper

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Håvard,

Good questions.

IF you have a lot of cases where people end up on the same list then you may want to consider creating more general ads.  I have a client who I setup on remarketing - he loves it but we do deal with the fact of people ending up on multiple lists because they end up browsing around the site.  We only have 3 audience lists where we could have at least 12 (they have many product lines) but it works better to keep it down to 3 lists and then where we are confident that there will be overlap in lists we created image ads that have multiple products shown in the images, the company brand logo and a strong call to action.  The visitors from this list are taken to the homepage of the site.

We do have better control over two of the other lists and therefore create image ads that are specific to that product line and take visitors to the specific category section of the website.

As for your second question about separating organic from ppc.  Personally I don't see the need unless you are 100% confident that organic and PPC traffic will behave differently.  One thing to consider is how strong a list you will have once you exclude organic from PPC and vice versa.  100 members are required for an audience list to be active and sometimes segmenting the traffic can lead to a weak list.  However I have not put into practice the organic/ppc segmented lists yet so I can’t say for sure that it would not provide better results than an all traffic sources list.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Luke,

Thanks for your input!

What if both ads have equal quality score? Smiley Wink This is purely theoretical, but all other things being equal (bids, relative CTRs, you name it), which remarketing list would be used?

Good point with targeting only newsletter subscribers.

Another reason which might make sense is to check differences in CPA for each "original" traffic source. Is there anyone here who splits their remarketing lists by source who has experienced any significant differences in CPA? Will the extra insight justify the extra workload?

My assumption is that when users visit a page selling a certain product, their probability of converting later on is the same, independent of where they came from before their first visit. But that might wrong, though.

Best

Håvard

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Havard,

In my experience, if you have a specific audience list, there is a reason behind that.  Sometime in the strategy decision making process, a reason was apparent why each list was created.  Each of these lists, or combination lists, ideally become a Topic Category for you to target in your remarketing campaign.  

Paid visitors (PPC, Display etc..), depending on the complexity of your campaigns, could have visited your site for a variety of reasons.  If your plan is to use the same remarketing message to all of your lists, I don't see the need to have multiple positive lists.  Converted users, or negative lists are a whole different story all together.  Everything in remarkeing is based around your strategy.

I don't think people are necessarily targeting traffic sources, it's more like using Organic vs. Search for discussion sake.  One thought would be that if you don't add organic users to your audience lists, you are missing a portion of visitors to your site.  Interest is interest in my book and as you mentioned the content viewed is quite important.  A visitor that stumbles on to your site is NOT the same as someone who clicked on an ad.  Those are two very different strategies in my book.

Luke mentioned email marketing as a possibility, which it is.  I just don't see the difference between that or a campaign landing page.  An offer is placed in front of a user.  You know what the offer was on your landing page, you know they didn't convert as you wished, now you get a second chance to make good on getting that customer to convert.  My list strategies are quite detailed and in doing so, I can send out very different messages to my audiences, and that is how I prefer to run remarketing campaigns.

Yes, list management can be difficult and time consuming but once they're set up, what is left to do? I think it's a function of how much you want to put into it and how granular you want to get with your remarketing strategies and campaigns.

There is no right or wrong here, it ultimately comes down to what you want to do.  The rest are just suggestions and experiences other folks have shared.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Kim,

I agree with you on making remarketing lists slightly more general for large ecommerce sites. 

• If you have a huge catalogue, and want to prioritize products, I imagine that the logic behind each combined list would be tedious to manage in the long run.
  • I have noticed that remarketing campaigns tend to have a bigger impact on view-through-conversions rather than direct conversions, so even if (in theory) you could set it down to product level, maybe remarketing is more useful as a branding tool.... or is that just me?

I would be very interested to hear about the set-up if someone here is running a remarketing campaign where the direct conversions are much greater than view-through-conversions.

Best

Håvard

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author havardo
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Harvardo,

In the case of everything being the same (which is close to impossible) I don't think either would take priority and it would possibly rotate between the two. I'm not certain though, you've stumped me on that one! Smiley Wink

I have ran remarketing with paid and organic seperately in the past and seen no difference whatsoever. The only thing that would justify this is, as Kim pointed out, there was for whatever reason a significant difference in performance between paid and organic results. If this was the case then I would recommend spending time analysing the traffic to find why there is such a difference in performance and use findings to improve performance.

In regards to PPCBossman the e-mail marketing was an example for where the offer would be exclusive to subscribers only and therefore we wouldn't remarket to visitors from other sources. All in all I probably wouldn't recommend targeting based on sources because its too much management and as long as you take a holistic approach to marketing, ensuring all traffic to the site is as relevant as possible, then it wont make much of a difference.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Luke Raper

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Tom,

Very good points. I would like to focus on one thing that stood out:

" A visitor that stumbles on to your site is NOT the same as someone who clicked on an ad.  Those are two very different strategies in my book."

To me, someone who clicked on a display ad stumbled upon the site, since they themselves did not explicitly choose to see the ad, as opposed to someone who clicks on a search ad.

However, when remarketing comes into the equation we are no longer talking about stumbling upon, because the user has been to your website and knows what to expect. Given this extra intent behind the click on a remarketing ad, I have just always assumed the generated traffic is of equal quality, independent of the original source. 

Do you have any experiences where you could see a significant difference in say CPA or another metric that was important to you?

I see clicks as commodoties, like coffee beans or whatever. If two arabica coffee beans passed the same filter they should be of the same quality, independent of where they came from. The filter being the remarketing campaign and quality being measured by conversion rate or CPA (or whatever metric is important to you). Maybe that is too simplistic?

Best

Håvard

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Luke,

Ad rotation! Why didnt I think of that??

I was asked this question by a client, and the cat got my tongue. Ad rotation seems very likely. I will use that next time!

All in all, I get the impression that it is fairly safe to assume that (for most sites) the original source of traffic does not make a big difference in the results of remarketing campaigns. Based on what you and Kim mentioned, any potential exceptions would probably clearly stand out already in the planning process.

Thanks!

Håvard

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

H again Håvard,

I run several Remarketing Campaigns and with one client see direct conversions at 1/2 the cost of our AdWords traffic cost per conversion.   Conversion rate is double on remarketing traffic compared to search and partner network adwords traffic.

Brand name search volume has doubled - looking with Google Analytics it is doubled in organic and adwords related brand search and their conversion for adwords branded search is doubled and dropped by almost 1/2 cost per conversion comparing branded traffic patterns previous to the Remarketing campaign.

I would need to adjust for the initial click on the remarketing traffic - as in take into account if there was a cost associated with the original visit that got them included on my remarketing list.  With adwords source traffic and remarketing you are generally paying for two clicks 1 to get you on the list and the second on the remarketing ads (unless you have a phone number in your ads).   I can't really get that granularity because I don't know exactly the source for all the traffic i.e. organic, direct, paid, etc...  I guess this is a good reason to setup organic vs. adwords remarketing lists because it makes it easier to analyze ROI down to the pennies Smiley Wink as in the cost per remarketing conversion minus the initial cost of the click, or maybe an average CPC would be what you would deduct, no way to know the actual CPC for each individual adwords audience list member.