AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Banner with cookie-based content

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hallo!

Is it possible to create a banner for a remarketing campaign that has cookie-based content? Let's say that  when a visitor signs up in my webpage I ad a cookie that contains his username. Is it against the policies to create a banner that displays the visitor's username when a cookie is found? Something like "John come and check out our new products"?

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Remarketing Banner with cookie-based content

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Dimitrios,

That would go against the Adwords Policy.  

"Ad content may not imply knowledge of personally identifiable or sensitive information."

" You aren't allowed to use or associate personally identifiable information with remarketing lists, cookies, data feeds, or other anonymous identifiers"

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/143465?hl=en

Your Privacy Policy must include information on any use of the AdWords features above which happens on your site or app
You aren't allowed to run interest-based advertising campaigns that collect personally identifiable information (PII) including, but not limited to, email addresses, telephone numbers, and credit card numbers

You aren't allowed to use or associate personally identifiable information with remarketing lists, cookies, data feeds, or other anonymous identifiers

You aren't allowed to use or associate targeting information, such as demographics or location, with any personally identifiable information collected from the ad or its landing page

You aren't allowed to share any personally identifiable information with Google through your remarketing tag or any product data feeds which might be associated with your ads

You aren't allowed to send Google precise location information without obtaining people's consent.
You must abide by the policy for sensitive categories outlined below

When creating a remarketing list, you can't use any sensitive information about your site or app visitors, whether you collected it directly or associated it with a visitor, based on the visitor's profile or behavior on your site or app

Restrictions on list creation may apply to both individual webpages and entire websites or apps
Ad content may not imply knowledge of personally identifiable or sensitive information
Google may include in-ads notice labels to disclose interest-based advertising to our users
Google reserves the right to display to users which remarketing lists they're on, along with the corresponding domain name
You aren't allowed to modify or obscure these notices
You can implement your own in-ads notice with written consent from Google, and the label must comply with relevant industry standards

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Dimitrios,

That would go against the Adwords Policy.  

"Ad content may not imply knowledge of personally identifiable or sensitive information."

" You aren't allowed to use or associate personally identifiable information with remarketing lists, cookies, data feeds, or other anonymous identifiers"

Your Privacy Policy must include information on any use of the AdWords features above which happens on your site or app
You aren't allowed to run interest-based advertising campaigns that collect personally identifiable information (PII) including, but not limited to, email addresses, telephone numbers, and credit card numbers

You aren't allowed to use or associate personally identifiable information with remarketing lists, cookies, data feeds, or other anonymous identifiers

You aren't allowed to use or associate targeting information, such as demographics or location, with any personally identifiable information collected from the ad or its landing page

You aren't allowed to share any personally identifiable information with Google through your remarketing tag or any product data feeds which might be associated with your ads

You aren't allowed to send Google precise location information without obtaining people's consent.
You must abide by the policy for sensitive categories outlined below

When creating a remarketing list, you can't use any sensitive information about your site or app visitors, whether you collected it directly or associated it with a visitor, based on the visitor's profile or behavior on your site or app

Restrictions on list creation may apply to both individual webpages and entire websites or apps
Ad content may not imply knowledge of personally identifiable or sensitive information
Google may include in-ads notice labels to disclose interest-based advertising to our users
Google reserves the right to display to users which remarketing lists they're on, along with the corresponding domain name
You aren't allowed to modify or obscure these notices
You can implement your own in-ads notice with written consent from Google, and the label must comply with relevant industry standards

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

Yes, it is. Your ads can't imply the knowledge of personally identifiable or any sensitive information.

Have a look at remarketing policies here:-

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
And apart from what my fellow community members have already rightly stated, you will not know it's John who sees your ad. Your minimum audience is 100 cookies for the display network and 1000 for the search network. All persons on your list will see the same ad.

It just doesn't get more personal than a group of 100 or 1000 cookies.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Assuming that one person wants to do this, the technical possibility is there , to get 1 person to see a remarketing ad, and not the other 1000 on the remarketing list.

The "Evil Advertiser" can do it by combining 2 audience, one from users from a city that is not currently targeted in the remarketing campaign, making sure that the useless audience is over 100 cookies , and an audience of John who has accessed 1 page.

The system will not give an error as in "AdWords will not use this custom remarketing audience because 99 people are from a location you are not targeting".

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I know, Adrian. There are other possibilities as well, however I (personally) tend not to write about any exploits on this community, especially the ones that brush the limits of the advertising policies. I feel that the policy violators are creative enough, most of the times Smiley Happy.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

My point is that it is not necessary for "all persons on the list to see the same ad" , only those in the targeted locations.

Maybe it is a good opportunity for Top Contributors to send a feedback to the AdWords team to resize the remarketing list according to the location of the users targeted by the campaign Smiley Happy 

Exposing an flaw can be used in a constructive way.