AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Remarketing Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

<When a visitor associated with one of those cookies visits a site on the Google Display Network, that visitor may be served one of your remarketing ads (depending on who wins the auction for the ad).>

I found the sentence above from the Help Center.

My question is: Does the ad served through remarketing also compete with other ads (not through remarketing) in the auntion?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Remarketing Ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello GangnamStyle,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

I must say that it's an interesting question.

To the best of my knowledge, the answer should be yes. With remarketing, you are re-targeting the same set of audiences who have already visited your website. Additionally, there would be new advertisers, who already belong to the category which you are re-targeting using this advanced model. So my understanding is that the auction model would work the same way and if you win the auction, your ad will be re-targeted to the same user segments, just like the new advertisers would be targeting them as new ones.

In addition to this, there would be another segment of advertisers using Remarketing method and in the same line of business as you are, so when they compete, they would be your competitors and auction model should work in the same way to show the relevant ad to users based on different metrics which we have like ad rank, Quality Score, relevancy etc...

Just few of my thoughts!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello GangnamStyle,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

I must say that it's an interesting question.

To the best of my knowledge, the answer should be yes. With remarketing, you are re-targeting the same set of audiences who have already visited your website. Additionally, there would be new advertisers, who already belong to the category which you are re-targeting using this advanced model. So my understanding is that the auction model would work the same way and if you win the auction, your ad will be re-targeted to the same user segments, just like the new advertisers would be targeting them as new ones.

In addition to this, there would be another segment of advertisers using Remarketing method and in the same line of business as you are, so when they compete, they would be your competitors and auction model should work in the same way to show the relevant ad to users based on different metrics which we have like ad rank, Quality Score, relevancy etc...

Just few of my thoughts!

Pankaj

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hello, 

Yes - Pankaj is spot on here, remarketing ads are not treated in a different way in the ad auction to those ads targeted by topics or categories. Remarketing is just a way to target your users, it doesn't affect how you get on in the ad auction per se. Your ads will still have to win the auction to show (even if they are competing against ads that are targeted by categories, topics, or keywords). 

Hope this helps!

A.