AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Reduce Daily Budget on Specific Day

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I was looking for a way to reduce my daily budget on weekends due to poor sales conversion on these days. I read about this issue on these forums and tried it out myself. I did the following;

- Signed into AdWords

- Placed the check mark next to the campaign I wanted to adjust

- Clicked on Automate > Change Daily Budget When

- I chose Decrease Daily Budget and set it to $10 (to reduce the daily budget by $10/day)

- In Frequency I chose Weekly > 1am

I used the Preview results button and everything looked good to me and I saved the change.

This is what ended up happening;

- My daily budget went to $0.01

- This did not change back to normal after Saturday. I checked it on Tuesday and noticed that my daily budget was set to $0.01 in my All Campaigns section.

What I am trying to achieve is;

- On Saturday of every week. reduce my daily budget by $10. Then on every other day of the week, have my daily budget go back to normal.

Can anyone help me get this set up and let me know where I went wrong with my attempt listed above.

Thanks,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Reduce Daily Budget on Specific Day

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Peter,

I don't believe that you can achieve what you want via the Automate campaign feature. I would recommend using an AdWords script. You can find this feature by logging into AdWords > Bulk Operations > Scripts. Click the add a new script button and paste in the code below. The ONLY part that you need to update is where it says "INSERT_CAMPAIGN_NAME_HERE" and make sure you keep the quotation marks. Once you have saved this you can schedule it to run weekly on Saturday mornings.

After this is setup you will need to create another script with the exact same code as the first, but with an updated budget. Where the code says "setAmount.(10)" change the 10 to whatever your budget is on non-weekend days. Schedule this script to run weekly with it running on whatever day you want your campaign budget to increase. This whole process may be a bit intimidating but it's really simple! Hope this helps.

function setCampaignBudget() {
  var campaignIterator = AdWordsApp.campaigns()
      .withCondition('Name = "INSERT_CAMPAIGN_NAME_HERE"')
      .get();
  if (campaignIterator.hasNext()) {
    var campaign = campaignIterator.next();
    campaign.getBudget().setAmount(100);
    Logger.log('Campaign with name = ' + campaign.getName() +
        ' has budget = ' + campaign.getBudget().getAmount());
  }
}

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

You can achieve this with Automation.

From the account level:

• Click "Automate"
  • Click "Change Daily Budget When"
  • Select the Campaigns you want it applied to
  • In "Automatic Action" choose "Decrease Daily Budget"
  • Put 10 Win the box then change to % to $ and set your max. minimum for safety
  • Requirements: Remove them by pressing "X"
  • Frequency "Weekly" "Saturdays" "12AM" Using data from any of the options.
  • Rule Name "Weekend DecreaseI"

Then you need to make another rule for Sunday night to increase it back using the s

From the account level:

• Click "Automate"
  • Click "Change Daily Budget When"
  • Select the Campaigns you want it applied to
  • In "Automatic Action" choose "Increase Daily Budget"
  • Put whatever the budget was before (may need to make one for each campaign) in the box then change to % to $ and set your max. minimum for safety
  • Requirements: Remove them by pressing "X"
  • Frequency "Weekly" "Sunday" "11PM" Using data from any of the options.
  • Rule Name "Week Increase"
  • When you change the budgets, remember that these rules need to change.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info. It looks like I was close to getting it right. I have used your instructions above and will see how it runs this weekend. If all is good I will "Accept As Solution".

Thanks again,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I am going to thy the option the Chris has offered. I am only slightly familiar with scripting languages, so I understand some of the code above, but I would prefer to use a method I can clearly manage myself without having to post here if I need to change something becasueI don't understand the script and it's functions.

Thanks again,

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey @Peter C,

No worries, @Chris H had a better solution. I don't use the automate feature too much but that seems like more of what you were looking for. Glad you got your question answered regardless!

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.