AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Recommendations to expand audience in Re Marketing campaign?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Running a few re marketing campaigns at the moment and it's clear that Google has a lot of ways to narrow down lists, but I'm looking for ways to grow our user base and expand our audience - what are some best practices to do this?

I've looked into:

- broader keywords

- bidding higher for those who already converted

- add a similar-to list for audiences that already converted to catch users 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Recommendations to expand audience in Re Marketing campaign?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kelsey

Try working with your creatives. If you have a CTR of 0,1% for remarketing campaigns on display network, maybe you can get that to 0,15% by using creatives in more formats and with different messages (do you use videos for example?)

How differentiated / segmented are your remarketing lists? What are they based upon?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Can you elaborate on what you mean by creatives? I'm a bit new to Ad words and re marketing. We do not use videos, on image based ads. The current re marketing lists are the one's Google gives based on the 500 cookie count from original ad campaigns.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I think David says that you can expand the remarketing traffic by creating more Ads. Creatives are Ads.

Did you try setting up audiences for Search campaigns aka RLSA ? ( described here : link )

They include organic/referral/direct visitors , not only paid visitors.

The unseen face of an audience is : how many users cleared their cache and cookies. The audience only shows how many browsers accepted the remarketing cookie, the system cannot check when and if the cookies are  deleted. So an audience of 2000, can actually be smaller.

My ratio (no. of audience) vs (no. of daily impressions) is around 5% , like an audience of 10.000 has a daily traffic of 500 impressions per day (without other restrictions).

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Kelsey,

Start using image ads.....

When people search they are focused on the task - they are searching because they have a need at that particular moment and they are looking for you.

with display, however, they are not actively looking for you - they are doing something else - your advertising has now changed and is "interruption" advertising - you need to get the target to stop what they were doing (reading a blog article or online newspaper) and look at your ad.

You know from your own experience that you mentally block out the text ads you see in other sites.... I know I do....

Image ads work much better because - well, in the main exactly because they are visual. They can invoke a quick memory of the site previously visited - it's a good idea to use the same look and feel for image ads as for the original site - logo, colors, typeface, etc.

You may find that using image ads improves the traffic from your lists without having to look at ways to increase your lists.

Remember, your lists need to be based on visitors who got to you in the first place because they were interested in your service or product. If they still have a need for this then your image should jog their memory and encourage them to "scratch their itch"..... In my experience image ads outperform text only ads by a massive margin.

So approach your problem from the other direction. Don't concentrate so much on growing your list - in the end you will likely find that this growth will be achieved by widening the net to attract visitors who are not that well qualified. Instead look to do more with the lists you have. Again, in my experience the tighter the segmentation and the more qualified the lists the better they perform.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I am only using image ads; about 16-20 of them.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Kelsey - my bad - I had read your earlier post as "we do not use videos OR image ads" I guess you meant ONLY!

My other comments - about segmenting still stand... and, as other have suggested, play with the creatives - i.e. run different ads in rotation to see which ones work.

Remember too that you can afford to be a little more aggressive in your messages to people which are coming to your site for the second or third time.... it is worth testing a pushier landing page - one which tries a little harder to convert.... in what feels like a previous life I used to do a lot of sales training and one of the biggest things we had to try and get sales people to do was ask for the order - just ask for the business. We talk and talk around the product but don't ask for an order.... our landing page can be much more up front if the visitor has been previously primed!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

What do you mean "We do not use videos, on image based ads". Are you only using static images instead of Flash animations made by the Ad Gallery (Old Display Ad builder) ? Video animations could be more attractive. There are also expanding banners to try.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Apologies, that is a typo. I meant "only" use image based ads. No video ads.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

stickleback wrote:
"Don't concentrate so much on growing your list - in the end you will likely find that this growth will be achieved by widening the net to attract visitors who are not that well qualified. Instead look to do more with the lists you have. Again, in my experience the tighter the segmentation and the more qualified the lists the better they perform."

This is pretty much exactly what I would suggest:

If you're looking for a way to convert more of your current AdWords remarketing audience members into customers, you probably want to focus your efforts on the campaigns which are targeting those audiences. Many suggestions have already been made on how you can do that through audience segmentation and ads/creatives.  You really need to entice the user back to your site for another visit through targeted messaging appealing to their pain points.

RLSA is also a great suggestion.  It allows you to remarket to users without needing the users to be on the Display Network...you may be able to catch them again while they're still early in the funnel (still searching & researching).  You can be a little broader in these campaigns as the users have already visited your site once.

If you're looking to expand the size of your audiences (# of members), I would also caution that the size of the list is probably not quite as important as the quality of the list.  

Developing proper strategies for remarketing is of the utmost importance...simply throwing ads out without a purpose often does not provide the best results.

There could also be a terminology issue here, by 'audience', are you referring to the actual audience you're targeting with your remarketing campaign or in general an audience for your business AKA potential customer base?

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’