AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Receiving AdWords clicks but no calls? Make it easier for users to call you!

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Are you receiving a good amount of clicks on your ads, but not hearing your phone ring? AdWords offers a feature called Call Extensions that actually allows you to add a phone number to your ad without using up any of your ads description lines! There are 2 options for call extensions. The first allows you to list your own business number alongside your ads when users see your ad on mobile devices. This allows the user to click directly on your number and dial you from there. The second option is to show a call forwarding number that will show with your ad on all devices. This option allows users to manually dial that forwarding number if they see it on their desktop, laptop, or tablet and will give you detailed reporting about that call. Or the user can click on the forwarding number when they see the number with your ad on their mobile device and dial you from there. The forwarding number really gives you a great way to see the return on investment you are getting with AdWords ads.

I have a feeling you are probably thinking to yourself, well that sounds great, but how much is it going to cost me? It is no additional cost to simply set up the call extensions. When someone clicks on the call extension from their mobile device, you will be charged the same amount as if the user clicked on your headline. And if a user manually dials the forwarding number from seeing the ad on a non-mobile device, you are charged $1.

For more information on setting up call extensions, please reference the following article:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2453991

If you are interested in setting up a call extension with a call forwarding number, please see this article:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2454052

If you have any additional questions about using Call extensions, I am on this thread and will be happy to answer any questions! Happy call extending!

Best,
Sherry127

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Receiving AdWords clicks but no calls? Make it easier for users to call you!

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Chetan,

Thanks for your post! Please find the answer to your questions below:

1) A user can only call on your business number call extension from their mobile device. If you enable call metrics, than the user will be able to see a call forwarding number on all devices, and yes will have to manually dial that call forwarding number.

2) In order to show a phone number on desktop/laptops, you will need to have call metrics which will be that call forwarding number. The system will actually track for you how many calls you receive to this number. Detailed reporting can be found in the dimensions tab, under 'Call Details' from the 'View' drop down.

3) If your phone number is already showing with the location extension, the system will not show your call extension on top of it. 

4) You can have Cost-per-phone call bidding for a mobile targeted campaign. For more information on this feature, please reference the following article: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2454046

5) The CPC for if someone clicked on the phone number on their mobile device will be the same as if they had clicked on the headline of the ad. However, if someone sees the call forwarding number on a non-mobile device and manually dials it, you will be charged $1 for the call. And yes, this will work for any ad position! 

Thanks!
Sherry

View solution in original post

Re: Receiving AdWords clicks but no calls? Make it easier for users to call you!

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you, Sherry! 

Zee
G+

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the post on call extensions Sherry.

As I understand -

1. A user can only call on the number directly if he/she has a mobile? It cannot happen from a desktop or laptop. For these devices, the user has to manually enter the number.

2. For Setting Call Extensions for Laptop & Desktop Devices, do i need to place some code on my website for tracking them. What would be tracked from them.

If I use Location Extensions, then my number is already shown in it. Do I yet need to show a Location + Call Extension?

Also, If I create mobile targeted campaign, then only can i recieve pay per call?

Also, the cpc is different and call charges are different. Would this call extension work for any ad position?

Thanks,

Chetan.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Chetan,

Thanks for your post! Please find the answer to your questions below:

1) A user can only call on your business number call extension from their mobile device. If you enable call metrics, than the user will be able to see a call forwarding number on all devices, and yes will have to manually dial that call forwarding number.

2) In order to show a phone number on desktop/laptops, you will need to have call metrics which will be that call forwarding number. The system will actually track for you how many calls you receive to this number. Detailed reporting can be found in the dimensions tab, under 'Call Details' from the 'View' drop down.

3) If your phone number is already showing with the location extension, the system will not show your call extension on top of it. 

4) You can have Cost-per-phone call bidding for a mobile targeted campaign. For more information on this feature, please reference the following article: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2454046

5) The CPC for if someone clicked on the phone number on their mobile device will be the same as if they had clicked on the headline of the ad. However, if someone sees the call forwarding number on a non-mobile device and manually dials it, you will be charged $1 for the call. And yes, this will work for any ad position! 

Thanks!
Sherry

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank You So Much Sherry.

Receiving AdWords clicks but no calls? Make it easier for users to call you!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

THANK YOU ! 

MY CONTACT NUMBER IS IMPORTANT TO MY AD CAMPAIGNS