AdWords
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Reach people in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So the adwords help page advises I can select Advanced Locations Options. The problem is I can't find where this option is on my adwords account? I'm supposed to be able to select "Reach people in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location" but I can't find this option anywhere! I'm guessing this is an old page and Google just haven't updated or removed it?

Currently my ads target the location where I'm based. Customers will search for us locally and also before they arrive in the country. Targeting a local audience worked really well in the past as our ads would show because customers would enter our town when searching from overseas and this would trigger the ad. I don't know when it happened but it looks like Google have changed things and now the ads are not being triggered overseas because we are targeting locally. It didn't used to be a problem before as long as they entered our town in the search. Whenever I did an ad preview diagnosis our ads showed up 100% of the time wherever the location. This was the case for the last 3 years at least. Now they are hardly showing overseas at all and I haven't changed anything on my ads?

In the past I've been told by various Google phone support people to target other countries and put our town as part of the keyword. I took this advice and my clicks took a nose dive - so I switched back and all was good again - until now!

Is the answer to create two separate campaigns? The locally targeted campaign that doesn't include the name of our town in the keywords. And the worldwide targeted campaign that includes the name of our town in the keywords.

The problem is I've noticed that many of the keywords that include the name of our town come up with low search volume so a quality score is not possible to calculate which affects the ranking and bid price. The keywords that don't include the name of our town have a better quality score. I think this is what happened when I took the Google advice a year or so ago and let some guy set up new campaigns for me. But the ads were not showing. I believe they weren't showing because of the low ranking for keywords which included our town name.

I really wish Google hadn't messed with something that worked and changed to something that clearly doesn't! I can only assume they are not stupid and have done this on purpose to try make people like myself spend more money by forcing us to have a wider geographical area and thus irrelevant clicks. This is counter productive as ultimately I will get less impressions, less clicks and spend less money. Unfortunately whilst this saves me money it's not really selling my product.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lucy W
July

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Lucy,

You are very welcome. 

With regards to search location... you can learn more about your audience traffic with the Dimensions Tab. This is a very powerful auditing tool that all advertisers should utilize. Here is some more info from an article I wrote for Google Partners. One you dig into this you will learn much more about your campaigns and audience. 

With regards to keywords, ad rank, quality score... when you see that alert it has to do with the Ad Rank, which is not the same as your keyword score of 1-10. Your keyword score can be high, yet if your ad does not perform as it is expected, the ad rank drops and so will performance of the account (even more as time goes on). To fix this, you need to write some new ads that use the subject of the website landing page and keywords in that group. You should aim to have 3-5 ads per ad group.

Also, ads become stale over time, too, and the only way to freshen them is to rewrite new ones.

Tips: Pause the old ads (do not edit them) and then bring new ads online. If you prefer, you can copy & paste ads from an ad group (same one or another), which will make a copy of the old ad, which you can edit and save... or just dream up new ones. One you give the ad group new ads, they will go under review and then go live, once approved. Within a few weeks or so, you will see that 1-2 ads are getting the majority of the performance and the other few are not getting much or any performance. Leave the performing ads alone and repeat process of pausing and rewriting the ads with little to no performance. This process can repeat every month until you have high quality ads. You might want to use ad rotation: rotate evenly for better testing then go back to optimize for clicks or optimize for conversion. I would not leave the rotate evenly on permanently, personally.

Ultimately, all of this should remove the low ad rank alert, improve the quality score of the campaign and bring the performance costs down while bringing the CTR and conversions up. 

Hope this adds more help with your journey.

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Re: Reach people in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Lucy,

The feature is still active and is very helpful. 

To update your advanced location options, you’ll need to use one of the following campaign types:

• "Search Network with Display Select - All Features"
  • “Search & Display Networks - All Features”
  • “Search Network only - Shopping ads”
  • “Search Network only - Dynamic Search Ads”
  • “Search Network only - All Features”
  • “Display Network only - Remarketing”
  • “Display Network only - All Features”

If you're choosing a marketing objective for your "Display Network only" campaign, you can use advanced location options with any objective except "Install your mobile app" or "Engage with your mobile app." If you have a different campaign type from the ones listed above, you won't be able to modify your campaign’s advanced location options. Learn about AdWords campaign types.

To edit your advanced location options, follow the steps below:

1. Sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.com.
  2. Click the Campaigns tab.
  3. Select the name of the campaign you want to edit.
  4. Click the Settings tab. {then click on the All settings tab}
  5. Click Location options (advanced).
  6. Click Edit.
    Edit your advanced location exclusion options

7. Click Edit next to “Target” to update your targeting option, or “Exclude” to update your exclusion option.
  8. Once you've made your selection, click Save.

advanced location.jpg

I have submitted an edit for the posted instructions to the AdWords team to make this easier to follow. Please use the information above and my screenshot to locate this feature in your AdWords account. If you are using the new interface (Beta AdWords), simply click on the three stacked dots in the upper right hand corner and click on "Return to previous AdWords" and follow above info. You can jump back and forth from the old (classic interface) to the new (Beta interface) all you want. 

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks James! Your reply has been very helpful - especially the screenshot. I hadn't realised I had to select a campaign from the far left of the screen.

So having been able to find the edit I was looking for I see I don't need to change my advanced target locations as they are correctly set up. I did think it was odd because I was sure I had set it up correctly in the first place.

I've been running my adwords for about four years and always came up in overseas searches. I hadn't checked them in a while. Business is booming and my only other competitor has ceased trading. When I had a competitor I always came up above them too. However, I decided to keep the ads running away. So I was quite surprised the other day to find none of my ads appear to be showing for overseas searches. A message comes up either " We currently can't determine why your ad isn't showing" or "Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now because of a low Ad Rank. Ads are ranked based on your bid and Quality Score". This doesn't make sense as my quality scores are between 7 and 10 for keywords that are not showing. Also, I have no competitors. E.g my key word +pram +hire +queenstown has a quality score of 8. Yet when I search under Australia for location with domain com.au it says ad is not showing due to low ad rank. Though it does come up on mobile but not desktop or tablet. When it does come up my Call Out Extensions are not showing. Presumably for the same low ad rank reason. Again they always used to show. The thing is there are no other ads coming up either. How can I have a low ad rank if no other ads are competing?

Cheers

Lucy

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lucy W
July

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Lucy,

You are very welcome. 

With regards to search location... you can learn more about your audience traffic with the Dimensions Tab. This is a very powerful auditing tool that all advertisers should utilize. Here is some more info from an article I wrote for Google Partners. One you dig into this you will learn much more about your campaigns and audience. 

With regards to keywords, ad rank, quality score... when you see that alert it has to do with the Ad Rank, which is not the same as your keyword score of 1-10. Your keyword score can be high, yet if your ad does not perform as it is expected, the ad rank drops and so will performance of the account (even more as time goes on). To fix this, you need to write some new ads that use the subject of the website landing page and keywords in that group. You should aim to have 3-5 ads per ad group.

Also, ads become stale over time, too, and the only way to freshen them is to rewrite new ones.

Tips: Pause the old ads (do not edit them) and then bring new ads online. If you prefer, you can copy & paste ads from an ad group (same one or another), which will make a copy of the old ad, which you can edit and save... or just dream up new ones. One you give the ad group new ads, they will go under review and then go live, once approved. Within a few weeks or so, you will see that 1-2 ads are getting the majority of the performance and the other few are not getting much or any performance. Leave the performing ads alone and repeat process of pausing and rewriting the ads with little to no performance. This process can repeat every month until you have high quality ads. You might want to use ad rotation: rotate evenly for better testing then go back to optimize for clicks or optimize for conversion. I would not leave the rotate evenly on permanently, personally.

Ultimately, all of this should remove the low ad rank alert, improve the quality score of the campaign and bring the performance costs down while bringing the CTR and conversions up. 

Hope this adds more help with your journey.

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks James,

Your advice has been first class. Really appreciate your help.

Lucy