AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Reach and frequency

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hello,

my question will be about reach and frequency statistics to find out the optimal frequency cap in display campaigns. From what I have found so far, reach and frequency is no longer in dimension tab and there are new metrics on campaign level Avg. impr. freq. per cookie and Unique cookies.

I'm not sure how get a greater image from these metrics, something like it was before where it shown you statistics like cpc, impressions, clicks etc. for frequency 1 to x.

Alex

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Reach and frequency

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
You can no longer get stats broken down by number of impressions:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+GoogleAds/posts/WUoebFNKCNF

That said, I find frequency capping to be overrated as an optimization technique.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Hello Maxime T,

Thanks for the answer!
But is it? I do not like to set something, just because I feel like setting it this way, but because it is a good way with a reason behind it.

So now I can either depend on experienced PPCers, who say that optimal is somewhere around 10. Or I can depend on Google who says, do not set anything, we will optimize this number for you. Or I can really just choose random number. Or I can tell to myself, if I know average count of times people were exposed to my ad and I'm getting conversions. I might set this frequency cap like the same number as average. Because of most of the people in average see my ads x times and convert, there is no reason to set higher frequency cap than this.

This really bothers me as I do not have full control about this setting.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
You still have full control over it, just not the kind of reporting you wanted.

To me frequency capping is mostly about user experience: if you really feel like you don't want users to be over-exposed to your ads then you can set it, but I really don't think it's an efficient way to optimize for performance.

There are many ways of optimizing display campaigns (keyword/category/placement exclusions, narrow targeting, bids, creatives, etc...) that are more efficient than frequency capping.