AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Re-targeting from Desktop to Mobile

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am looking at way to retargeting Desktop visitors on Mobile. The process I am planning to follow is:

1) Place remarketing code on my website

2) Build list of visitors who visited my desktop website (I can't capture their emails)

3) Retarget desktop users on Mobile using remarketing list

4) Remarketing ads should only be displayed on mobile (is this possible?)

I understand remarketing list is cookie based and Google places cookie in desktop browser. However if the visitor is logged in using Google ID can visitor still be targetted on other device given that visitor also logged in that device?

Does Google supports cross device retargeting for logged in users? Please suggest.

Any alternative suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2016

Re: Re-targeting from Desktop to Mobile

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Amit Z an interesting idea, but I think you're going to fall at a couple of fences...

Firstly, it's not possible to target only mobile devices.  You can get close to doing this (how close depends upon the Campaign) by setting a very low CPC and boosting the mobile bid to 300%, but you can't shut off desktops/tablets entirely.

Secondly, as you suspect, the remarketing lists are based upon cookies so someone who collected a cookie on a desktop won't have that cookie on their mobile.  As far as I know, remarketing lists don't use user IDs, they're all cookie based.  That may be something that'll change in the future, but then again there might be privacy issues (would you want your work PC remarketing from all the sites you visited on your home PC?).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your views.

The possibility of GA ID binding the user across the devices came from the views written by @Dave_Davis in another article. I believe Google is already working on it and at times my suspension gets boosted when I see ads across devices during my digital journey.

Here is the article:
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Advanced-Features/Cross-Device-Remarketing/m-p/521835/high...

Let's see if anyone has different experience or opinion on this.

Amit

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Amit Z;

As Jon  already mentioned, cross device Re-marketing and conversation  is not available in AdWords and is quieted limited in GA. (Mainly due to privacy considerations).

Cross device conversions is a statistical model (as explained in the thread you linked).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks @MosheTLV

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Amit Z it's certainly something we'd like to see, but as @Dave_Davis said in that original post, it's not yet available and we have no confirmation when or even if, it will be.

Any appearance of cross-device marketing are far more likely to simply be "ordinary" Campaigns, rather than any example of cross-device remarketing.

Hopefully my comments will cause Google to announce the release of the feature tomorrow, just to make me look silly. Smiley Happy

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok @Jon_Gritton, I understand.

I really hope your wish comes true and we can see the feature soon. Atleast Google should read this on FB website and act quickly:

FB says "Instead of relying on search interests based on cookies, which can cause overlap, target real individuals. This is where Facebook has it's biggest advantage over competitors."

Source: https://www.facebook.com/business/a/performance-marketing-strategies

Thanks!

Amit