AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Re: NEW "Flexible Reach" Display Setting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Messing with this stuff in Adwords Editor gets kind of crazy and its easy to make a setting that gives you no traffic. So this is my understanding, you can correct me if I have it wrong. It seems like in adwords editor, at ad group level you choose either target and bid or bid only, and target and bid means it has to match or it won't bid for you in the auction, where bid only it only takes the bid into account. So if I have placements and I choose target and bid, it will only show my ads for that adgroup on that placement only, and If I also add an interest or retargeting audience and choose target and bid for that, that means that my ads are only eligable to show on that ad group if somebody from my retargeting audience visits that placement, and if I have keywords in that ad group also, it means that placement matching my keywords and my retargeting audience.  BUT, If I choose bid only instead of target and bid its not so restrictive I can show ads to other places as well but it will take my bids for the placement and target audience and if I bid a little more for them, still show my ads other places but give a little extra emphasis to what I am willing to pay a little more for. But all bets are off if you throw the display optimizer at the campaign because if you do that it throws everything out the window and starts showing the ads pretty much anywhere including other placements and sites where Google thinks I can get conversions. I found that out by braille. So- target and bid means HAS to match, and bid only means will match other things but take your bids for either the placement or audience or interest but otherwise the ad group runs normally. Do I have it right? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: NEW "Flexible Reach" Display Setting

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting on our Community forum. In general, your description is correct for AdWords Editor and the bidding types available in AdWords. Of course, the best way to test these features is what you've already done: test the different bidding types in your actual AdWords Campaign. 

I also suggest you reference the AdWords Editor notes to find out the latest features. You can find the latest version on this link: https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/?hl=en#topic=3388256

There's even an AdWords Editor Troubleshooter that you may be to apply some of your questions here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/troubleshooter/2893845?hl=en&ref_topic=3388256