AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Re: Advanced location options

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi i have targeted locations on my add mine are within 25 mile of newcastle .but if i type scrap cars manchester my ad shows up on my computer but if were in manchster and typed scrap cars manchester my add wouldnt , this is down to the ip address location dont now if this helps regards kenzie

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello xxkenzxx;

In the UK you can target up to a city level. I am not quite sure that this works perfectly (due to IP/ communication setup country-wide)

You might want to target by intent (adding your city name to the keywords, or use city names as negative keywords)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Moshe is right on, but there are many possible positive and negative KW terms that would have to be added. That's a lot of work. Before you go through all that effort, do you know whether or not your customers are actually searching for the terms you are searching for?

Even a quick glance at the search terms report will shed some light on what users are actually searching for. You can add or exclude those search terms while viewing the report. Look at the all time view, and see what terms have the most impressions, clicks, best/worst CTR, conversion rates, etc., etc. If you are seeing a lot of Manchester terms, then exclude Manchester as a campaign level negative broad match term. From that point on, you shouldn't see any more Manchester search queries.

Tom

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello xxkenzxx;

In the UK you can target up to a city level. I am not quite sure that this works perfectly (due to IP/ communication setup country-wide)

You might want to target by intent (adding your city name to the keywords, or use city names as negative keywords)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Moshe is right on, but there are many possible positive and negative KW terms that would have to be added. That's a lot of work. Before you go through all that effort, do you know whether or not your customers are actually searching for the terms you are searching for?

Even a quick glance at the search terms report will shed some light on what users are actually searching for. You can add or exclude those search terms while viewing the report. Look at the all time view, and see what terms have the most impressions, clicks, best/worst CTR, conversion rates, etc., etc. If you are seeing a lot of Manchester terms, then exclude Manchester as a campaign level negative broad match term. From that point on, you shouldn't see any more Manchester search queries.

Tom