AdWords
4K members online now
4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

RLSA for Logged-in Google Users

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a product that targets web site owners, and I'm guessing that many of them are logged in to Google in one way or another at all times. 

It's my understanding that these people are excluded from the remarketing user-list and matches my experience in testing. 

Can someone explain why?  The stated purpose is "privacy", but I can't figure out what privacy could be violated.  Not sure if this is Google just being super cautious for now and may change some day or it's a "hard" privacy violating case and will never change. 

Thanks!

-Casey

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: RLSA for Logged-in Google Users

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

I am not sure how would you be able to create a special Remarketing list comprising of the users who were logged in and abandoned your shopping cart or any other criteria which you would like to match? Please note that any method you use should be legitimate and not tricky.

What you can do the max (as per my understanding) is that you can implement the code on each and every page of your site and then try out different permutations/combinations possible in creating various lists as described here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2476691

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm not trying to create a list of just them, but include them in my general list. My understanding is Google is filtering them out.

So visitors A and B visit my site. A and B will be on the display remarketing list. But B was logged in to Google at the time, so the RLSA list will only have A.

Trying to figure out why Google does that beyond the single word explanation "privacy".

-C

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Casey H

I understand your point, you are asking about the AdWords tag , the Audiences for Search remarketing and how users "logged in a Google account" ( not logged in your site while shopping)  , are not added to the list.

The best pointer I can give you is this answer from google which I obtained while digging for the same type of problem ( read message 6 ) 

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Better-understanding-of-how-Remar...

However I don't think you will obtain here a reason behind "privacy", plus I do not understand how this privacy is not violated later when the user becomes tracked in Search even if they are logged in. It seems that this "logged in" condition is applied only for the addition to the list, not for serving.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Adrian, I'd found your post when googling around and agree that it's the best public info available so far.

Mine was a hail-mary to try and get some more info. Here's hoping someone from Google can weigh in.

-C

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello Casey;
Your point is valid. However, Google has decided that RSLA is not available for logged users. (Since the system implies based on sites visited, and search queries what ads  could be shown. In that sense, a "linkage" between a user's  browsing behavior  and the user's search is created. This Google does not  want. Hence, blocked RLSA from logging users.)
I agree that this reduces significantly the "power" of RLSA  to target relevant audience. Google is aware of that.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

And you've never wondered the "why" about anything that affects so many people and the fundamentals of your business? 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Knowing Google decision making process, I am confident, that the decision was taken after considering all aspects. I also disagree. But I have no doubt, that all pros and cons were on the table when decision was taken
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My hunch after thinking about it: They feel that it would hurt their image of privacy, not actual privacy. People who are logged in would see re-targeted ads and they'd _think_ it's because they're logged in.