AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

RLSA campaigns with broad keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everybody ! Smiley Happy

I started to work on RLSA campaigns and I have one question. I've read that it is recommended to try broad keywords for these campaigns and expand your main theme to similar ones.

I'm afraid to cross the broad keywords line (even if I'm using broad modified keywords).

What do you think about that?

Does anyone have results about this method?

Thanks,

Monika

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Monika G
September 2015

Re: RLSA campaigns with broad keywords

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Monika,

This is actually a great idea - although it is kind of counter intuitive... but here's why it works.

We have to make a couple of assumptions - but there easy ones to make..

First we must assume that a person who visited your a site and as a result got on to your remkarting list is interested in your product or service... that makes sense, but if you want to refine further (always a good idea) you might want to consider building a combination remarketing list everyone that visited your site, except (obviously) those people that converted (and you can therefore, follow up on) and those people that bounced - making another (reasonable) assumption - i.e. that they were not interested enough to stick around.

OK - the next assumption is that if these people are searching agin it's because they didn't get their itch scratched the first time around. This probably means that the itch is worse... i.e. their need is either greater or more urgent, or both. So they are now probably more interesting to you, since they are further along the conversion funnel.

You can afford to use broader match keywords simply because the fact that they have spent some time on your site before pre-qualifies them to a degree. They are, almost by definition, a "real" prospect.

One small word of warning. Keep an eye on your lists. Google are disapproving remarketing lists where they feel there is a "negative" invasion of privacy based on tracking a person's browsing ... I've had a couple of medically related lists disapproved and just last week the lists of a client who does debt consolidation.

One would assume that if you run an RLSA campaign targeting a specific list and then that list gets disapproved, the ads stop running, right?

Wrong.

The list simply gets removed from the targeting and since there are still keywords, the campaign gets opened up to a very broad target market. This happened to me and, luckily we caught it very quickly since all the numbers suddenly went out of whack, My client has a prostate cancer clinic and we were using the broad match keyword "cancer" when the list got suspended. Of course, the amount of impressions that the broad match keyword triggers is considerable. Couple that with the fact that we were also bidding quite aggressively on the keyword (to target the list!) and it can drain even very big budgets (which thankfully ours wasn't) quite quickly.

This said... it is still something I would certainly recommend.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I don't have any amazing results to share, Monika. But the logic makes sense to me. In a RLSA campaign, you're significantly reducing the size of the audience that will see these ads.

This gives you room to expand the net you cast with your keywords.

You can always try to start tight, using phrase and exact match to see what kind of volume you'll see and if needed, expand to using BMM keywords if needed.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Monika

Most of the time we do use broad match keywords and "Target and Bid" only option for RLSA campaign. This will ensure your ad only served for audience list using the broad match keywords

this method always proven to me successful to me personally than normal brand and generic campaigns 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Monika G
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Monika,

This is actually a great idea - although it is kind of counter intuitive... but here's why it works.

We have to make a couple of assumptions - but there easy ones to make..

First we must assume that a person who visited your a site and as a result got on to your remkarting list is interested in your product or service... that makes sense, but if you want to refine further (always a good idea) you might want to consider building a combination remarketing list everyone that visited your site, except (obviously) those people that converted (and you can therefore, follow up on) and those people that bounced - making another (reasonable) assumption - i.e. that they were not interested enough to stick around.

OK - the next assumption is that if these people are searching agin it's because they didn't get their itch scratched the first time around. This probably means that the itch is worse... i.e. their need is either greater or more urgent, or both. So they are now probably more interesting to you, since they are further along the conversion funnel.

You can afford to use broader match keywords simply because the fact that they have spent some time on your site before pre-qualifies them to a degree. They are, almost by definition, a "real" prospect.

One small word of warning. Keep an eye on your lists. Google are disapproving remarketing lists where they feel there is a "negative" invasion of privacy based on tracking a person's browsing ... I've had a couple of medically related lists disapproved and just last week the lists of a client who does debt consolidation.

One would assume that if you run an RLSA campaign targeting a specific list and then that list gets disapproved, the ads stop running, right?

Wrong.

The list simply gets removed from the targeting and since there are still keywords, the campaign gets opened up to a very broad target market. This happened to me and, luckily we caught it very quickly since all the numbers suddenly went out of whack, My client has a prostate cancer clinic and we were using the broad match keyword "cancer" when the list got suspended. Of course, the amount of impressions that the broad match keyword triggers is considerable. Couple that with the fact that we were also bidding quite aggressively on the keyword (to target the list!) and it can drain even very big budgets (which thankfully ours wasn't) quite quickly.

This said... it is still something I would certainly recommend.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wow, very interesting point of view Stickleback!

Thank both of you for your feedback! Smiley Happy
Monika