AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

RLSA attribution with multiple modifiers

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Adwords Community,

I have this question which i can't get an answer to. The people who do comment on it mask their not knowing by not answering the question but to suggest a 'fix', so i'm hoping someone in this community can answer me. 

Example: I have an adgroup with two bid modifiers. 

1. People who visited page X (+10%)
  2. People who visited page Y (+5%)

My adgroup gets triggered by someone who visited page X and Y. This person clicks on the ad. Which remarketing list gets credited and why? 

For the sake of argument, no, the lists can't be excluded between each other. I simply want to know how attribution works when two bid modifiers of the same type interact when they are both triggered.

Thanks for your time, looking forward to read your answer!

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: RLSA attribution with multiple modifiers

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Snippet from https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472738 (maybe not the best place to put this info):

What happens when people are on more than one list

If people visit multiple pages on your site containing remarketing tags, they can be added to more than one of your remarketing lists. When this happens, all the ads included in the remarketing campaigns for those lists are eligible to serve. The ad with the highest ad rank will then compete for placement in the auction.

Although not completely clear, this might be explaining the behaviour when you have your 2 remarketing audiences in separate ad groups (2 adgroups in this case). I would expect the behaviour to be the same when having them in 1 adgroup but Jelle, maybe you should test it and provide a definite answer Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

And 1 more for completeness sake ;-)  (bottom of https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/4782789)

• It’s best to use one remarketing list per ad group. However, if you’d like to use more than one list, consider duplicating the ad group and using only one list for each.
  • Multiple remarketing lists can be associated with a single ad group, but the lists shouldn’t overlap. For example, lists for “people who made a purchase” and “people who didn’t make a purchase” wouldn’t contain the same users, so they don’t overlap. But lists for “people who made a purchase” and “all site visitors” would overlap—they’d likely contain many of the same people.

It seems it's not supported, using it might lead to unexpected results.

What I would do is define 2 remarketing lists:

• 1 list with all visitors of page Y but not page X (+5%)
  • 1 list with all visitors of page X (+10%)

Or if you're looking for cumulative bid modifiers, 3 remarketing lists

• 1 list with all visitors of page X but not page Y (+10%)
  • 1 list with all visitors of page X and page Y (+15%)

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hi Jelle,

As far as I know, this will work in the same way as with other "conflicts": the combination with the highest Ad Rank will win and will enter the auction.

Since in your example everything Ad Rank wise is the same except the bid, the combination with the highest bid (modifier) should win most - if not all - auctions. Hence, the remarketing list with page X will get most - if not all - traffic from people who visited both pages.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jelle;

There are two issues here to clarify;

First: To Which lists the user is attributed? (So, in other words, you are saying you have a different Remarketing code on each page?)

Second: In your scenario   you are suggesting that different ads, from the same ad-group, shown on different pages,  were clicked by the same user?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Moshe,

The OP does not say different landing pages. Let's say in the conversion funnel a user reaches the first page only, after the landing page. That's a level of interest shown that may be worth a 5% higher bid.

Now let's say another user hit the same landing page, but went further through the conversion funnel. That level of interest may be worth a 10% higher bid.

This can all be done with a single re-marketing tag. While I do know specifically, I would tend to agree with Ken M on this. A user eligible for the higher bid modifier could be eligible for both, but will most likely trigger the higher bid modifier.

I apologize, but I can not answer with authority. To the best of my knowledge, modifiers of this type are not cumulative. If you have a bid modifier for the page visited plus a modifier for mobile traffic, I would expect both to be used. I hope someone can give you a more definitive answer.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Snippet from https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472738 (maybe not the best place to put this info):

What happens when people are on more than one list

If people visit multiple pages on your site containing remarketing tags, they can be added to more than one of your remarketing lists. When this happens, all the ads included in the remarketing campaigns for those lists are eligible to serve. The ad with the highest ad rank will then compete for placement in the auction.

Although not completely clear, this might be explaining the behaviour when you have your 2 remarketing audiences in separate ad groups (2 adgroups in this case). I would expect the behaviour to be the same when having them in 1 adgroup but Jelle, maybe you should test it and provide a definite answer Smiley Wink

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

And 1 more for completeness sake ;-)  (bottom of https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/4782789)

• It’s best to use one remarketing list per ad group. However, if you’d like to use more than one list, consider duplicating the ad group and using only one list for each.
  • Multiple remarketing lists can be associated with a single ad group, but the lists shouldn’t overlap. For example, lists for “people who made a purchase” and “people who didn’t make a purchase” wouldn’t contain the same users, so they don’t overlap. But lists for “people who made a purchase” and “all site visitors” would overlap—they’d likely contain many of the same people.

It seems it's not supported, using it might lead to unexpected results.

What I would do is define 2 remarketing lists:

• 1 list with all visitors of page X (+10%)

Or if you're looking for cumulative bid modifiers, 3 remarketing lists

• 1 list with all visitors of page X but not page Y (+10%)
  • 1 list with all visitors of page X and page Y (+15%)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Let's say i want to sell cars. I have an info page about engines, and i figure anyone who visits that page is more interested as someone who only flicks through pictures. Similarly i have a page about the cars windshield which again suggests to me a higher interest. So i have remarketing lists for these info pages which i want to use to modify bids. Sometimes people will ofcourse have visited both info pages.

The question is how it adwords deals with the people who've visited multiple info pages and thus are in multiple remarketing lists attached as bid modifiers to the same adgroup.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for the link. I couldn't find anything on the topic myself. So i guess it's Google's official statement to not have overlapping remarketing lists attached to the same adgroup. That's kind of annoying with minimum list sizes for remarketing and all.

Thanks for linking the info!