AdWords
4K members online now
4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

RLSA Audiences & DS Bid Strategies

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I set up my prospecting/lead gen campaigns in AW and replicated the same campaign but layered on Audience lists so that I could run some RLSA.

However those lead gen campaigns are currently being managed in DoubleClick for Search and running on a CPA based bidding strategy (entire portfolio of keywords are being self-run and optimizing towards a target CPA). From what the Google reps told us, with this current model to ensure that our RLSA_ABC campaign (which is a copy of the lead gen campaign ABC) outbids the current campaign we would have to put on bid modifiers (ie: +15%). Since the Audience list is layered onto this campaign is this bid modifier even necessary, because if a user opts into that Audience (ie: PDP viewer) then they will automatically be opted into this and not be eligible for the lead gen campaign ABC anymore?

The second question I have is around how this works with bid strategies. Bid strategies runs solely on its own with bids that are suited for the strategy it is a part of, so if keyword "abc" gets upbidded to $3.5 in the bid strategy lead gen campaign, and that same keyword in RLSA has a base bid of $1.5 what will happen there?

All help is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Johnny K
September 2015

Re: RLSA Audiences & DS Bid Strategies

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Johnny K,

It all depends on how you have set up the targeting for these audiences. If set up one way then you will not have to add a bid multiplier if set up another then you will have to.

Firstly, Have you added the RLSA list to the original campaign as a negative? If not then there could be internal competition within your account, furthermore you will not be directing the correct audience to your desired campaigns in all cases.

The next question is whether or not you have set it up as target & bid or as bid only.
If you have set it up as bid only then a user does not have to be in the audience in order to match the campaign with the layered audience. If you are using bid only then it is suggested that you rather only have one campaign and then layer the audience onto this campaign with a bid modifier. This means that you will bid more/less aggressively for users that match the campaign when they are also a member of the RLSA.

For the 2 campaign approach you need to have the RLSA as a negative in the original campaign and then use the target & bid method for the second campaign. This will ensure that only those that are on the list will trigger campaign 2 and those that aren't on the list will trigger campaign 1. In this case you do not need to set a bid modifier, you can just adjust the CPC to your desired level. This 2 campaign method is the better one in many cases as it allows you to adjust your budget according to which audience is the most profitable and gives you more control over each audience in all aspects.

Hope this answers your questions!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Johnny K
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Johnny K,

It all depends on how you have set up the targeting for these audiences. If set up one way then you will not have to add a bid multiplier if set up another then you will have to.

Firstly, Have you added the RLSA list to the original campaign as a negative? If not then there could be internal competition within your account, furthermore you will not be directing the correct audience to your desired campaigns in all cases.

The next question is whether or not you have set it up as target & bid or as bid only.
If you have set it up as bid only then a user does not have to be in the audience in order to match the campaign with the layered audience. If you are using bid only then it is suggested that you rather only have one campaign and then layer the audience onto this campaign with a bid modifier. This means that you will bid more/less aggressively for users that match the campaign when they are also a member of the RLSA.

For the 2 campaign approach you need to have the RLSA as a negative in the original campaign and then use the target & bid method for the second campaign. This will ensure that only those that are on the list will trigger campaign 2 and those that aren't on the list will trigger campaign 1. In this case you do not need to set a bid modifier, you can just adjust the CPC to your desired level. This 2 campaign method is the better one in many cases as it allows you to adjust your budget according to which audience is the most profitable and gives you more control over each audience in all aspects.

Hope this answers your questions!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Clynton, I appreciate the thorough explanation you have given, you've totally answered my questions!

RLSA Audiences & DS Bid Strategies

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Clynton, 

If I have not separated my campaigns to use the remarketing list, and have added the audience list in the campaign. how do I know how much of the bid adjustment I need to put. Say, I followed Johnny's step to adjust it to a +15% bid adjustment, what will happen with the bidding of the keywords targeting the audience list vs. not targeting the audience list?