AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

'REPLACE_WITH_VALUE' value issue in Dynamic Remarketing

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Guys,

I want to implement Dynamic Remarketing, we are in the Education Industry.

Here is the code which is coming in the shared library section for dynamic remarketing

<script type="text/javascript">
var google_tag_params = {
edu_pid: 'REPLACE_WITH_VALUE',
edu_plocid: 'REPLACE_WITH_VALUE',
edu_pagetype: 'REPLACE_WITH_VALUE',
edu_totalvalue: 'REPLACE_WITH_VALUE',
};
</script>

We have over 1000 different products and updating this code on every product page with a different product id will not be possible, so can someone help me out that how can I implement this dynamically so that the product specific id(s) get updated on the product pages. I'm using tag manager on all the pages, so I would appreciate if someone can help me to implement this using tag manager.

Thanks a lot Smiley Happy

- Arun

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arun Jha
September 2015

Re: 'REPLACE_WITH_VALUE' value issue in Dynamic Remarketing

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for your response. We have a custom parameter as below;

edu_pid: 'MS101',
edu_pagetype: 'program',
edu_plocid: 'Delhi_campus'
};

My question is, Do we have to make separate custom parameter for each page or one custom parameter will work for all pages? We have listed different products in business data section in shared library with different product ids, now will this code work for all those listed product ids or do I need to create this code separately for each product id. 

Regards:

Arun

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Arun,

A lot depends upon how your pages are created themselves.  Typically with an ecommerce site the product pages will be generated from some form of product database configured in the site administration (or by the developer) and the pages themselves will use program variables for things like headings, description, ids, price, etc.  Where this is the case, you'd "simply" find out which were the relevant variables and then use these in your DRM code.

If the pages are all built manually then you will have to manually alter all the pages with their own version of the code, but it's unlikely someone coded 1000 pages manually.

Although the above process is relatively straightforward for a developer, it could be quite challenging for someone not familiar with web programming/scripting so you may be better off seeking a developer who can make the required changes for you.

Note also that for DRM to work properly your site must have each product displayed on its own page somewhere - you cannot have multiple products on a page (because then the script doesn't know which product the visitor is looking at).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Arun,

Since you are using Google Tag Manager, I would recommend reading this reference for once, which explains various steps: https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/3002580?hl=en

This might help you somewhat!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for sharing the valuable link but i already have that one. Please give some actionable information as if i have three product id(112,113,114) then what would be under edu_pid: 'REPLACE_WITH_VALUE', ?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Arun,

Try this Google developers site reference where different parameters for different business categories are listed. This one is for exclusive Education: https://developers.google.com/adwords-remarketing-tag/parameters#education

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for your response. We have a custom parameter as below;

edu_pid: 'MS101',
edu_pagetype: 'program',
edu_plocid: 'Delhi_campus'
};

My question is, Do we have to make separate custom parameter for each page or one custom parameter will work for all pages? We have listed different products in business data section in shared library with different product ids, now will this code work for all those listed product ids or do I need to create this code separately for each product id. 

Regards:

Arun

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Arun,

A lot depends upon how your pages are created themselves.  Typically with an ecommerce site the product pages will be generated from some form of product database configured in the site administration (or by the developer) and the pages themselves will use program variables for things like headings, description, ids, price, etc.  Where this is the case, you'd "simply" find out which were the relevant variables and then use these in your DRM code.

If the pages are all built manually then you will have to manually alter all the pages with their own version of the code, but it's unlikely someone coded 1000 pages manually.

Although the above process is relatively straightforward for a developer, it could be quite challenging for someone not familiar with web programming/scripting so you may be better off seeking a developer who can make the required changes for you.

Note also that for DRM to work properly your site must have each product displayed on its own page somewhere - you cannot have multiple products on a page (because then the script doesn't know which product the visitor is looking at).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon_Gritton,

Thanks for the reply

If we implement DRM using google analytics then are these steps required?