AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

REDIRECTING TO OLD URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

WHEN YOU CLICK OUR AD, IT WOULD DIRECT YOU TO OUR WEBSITE.

NOW WE GOT A NEW WEBSITE WITH A NEW URL AND WE WANT THE PEOPLE WHO CLICK OUR ADS TO BE DIRECTED TO OUR NEW URL

I HAVE CHANGED THE URL ON THE AD ON ADWORDS AND IT HAS BEEN APPROVED

BUT WHEN YOU CLICK THE AD ON GOOGLE IT STILL GOES TO THE OLD URL

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE HOST SERVER

WHEN YOU CLICK ON THE AD IN THE ADWORDS SETTINGS, IT WILL GO TO THE CORRECT URL

BUT WHEN YOU CLICK OUR AD ON GOOGLE, IT IS STILL GOING TO THE OLD URL

HELP!

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: REDIRECTING TO OLD URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I solved the problem myself. Here is what I did. I hope this helps other people who run into my problem

First of all, make sure you go into your Ad and change your display and landing URLs and make sure they both match.(The Obvious)

NOW, THE PART THAT NOBODY SEEMS TO MENTION:

Under your campaign, go into the Keywords Tab (Next tab over from Ads Tab)

Once you are in there, click columns and then click attributes.

Find where it says Dest. URL and click ADD

Once it is added, click apply.

Once you have done this, a new column should appear which says Dest. URL. Click the little pencil button on it and enter the new URL.

THERE YOU GO...

YOUR WELCOME! (that time I shouted)

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello

Please avoid CAPs letters. (Meaning shouting...)

See the following discussion with a full explanation;

I have upgraded my website and I'm using a new domain name

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry for the CAPS. I am also not trying to be rude when I tell you thank you for pointing out the obvious. If you read my post, I have already stated that I changed the URL on adwords. The correct URL is entered under the Ad. When you click on the Ad in adwords, it goes to the correct landing page, but when you go on google to click it, it does not. Both URLs (diplay and destination) match. They are both to the new site. However, it still is directing people to the old site. I have deleted the old URL in every option on Adwords and I dont understand why and how it is still redirecting people to the old website.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry for the double post, I am new to these forums. Let me explain exactly what I did and then you can tell me what I did wrong.

I have only 1 campaign, and 1 ad under that campaign.

I logged onto adwords.

Clicked Campaign.

Clicked Ads

Clicked on the little pencil next to my Ad

Then I changed both the desitnation and the display URL to the new website.

I waited a few days and google APPROVED it.

Then, from the Adwords Campaign management menu under Ads, I clicked the Ad and it directed me to the new correct website.

But when I go to google and click the ad, it is still going to my old website. DO YOU GET IT? or was that too confusing? I dont understand how much more clearer I can make it.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again;

This definitely should not be. If you can reach the landing page by clicking the ad within the account, that should work from the Google search result page.

Something is not set properly on the account;

We need look into the account setting;

Call Goole customer support;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google Customer Support did not help at all. They also pointed out the obvious and directed me to do exactly what I did. I appreciate you trying to help me. Have a good day.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Kevin, really the only way we can even begin to help you is to see an example of the Ad that's directing incorrectly and see your Account.  While I appreciate you're giving us all the information you can, there's no substitute for actually being able to see the problem first-hand.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I solved the problem myself. Here is what I did. I hope this helps other people who run into my problem

First of all, make sure you go into your Ad and change your display and landing URLs and make sure they both match.(The Obvious)

NOW, THE PART THAT NOBODY SEEMS TO MENTION:

Under your campaign, go into the Keywords Tab (Next tab over from Ads Tab)

Once you are in there, click columns and then click attributes.

Find where it says Dest. URL and click ADD

Once it is added, click apply.

Once you have done this, a new column should appear which says Dest. URL. Click the little pencil button on it and enter the new URL.

THERE YOU GO...

YOUR WELCOME! (that time I shouted)

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Kevin,

Do you have any keyword level destination URL's? Those need to be changed as well.

One other thing, have you redirected the old landing pages to the new landing pages? That is always a good idea when changing domain names or site structure, and not just your AdWords landing pages. All pages on the old site should be redirected to the new domain to retain organic PageRank, and it also helps transfer AW Landing page scores to the new site.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I actaully still want the old website to be up and accessable, but just not linked to that Ad. So redirecting would not help me. Thanks for your input.