AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

RE: Automatic Placements Posting--Request For Approval

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

Anyone who has a campaign with "Automatic Placements" knows the frustration of not knowing where your ads are being placed.  Alot of the time, you're only made aware of a irrelevant placement by someone clicking on your ad thus incurring a cost.  I've even had the experience where my ads were showing on a hacked site showing inappropriate content.

What I'm suggesting is a place (possibly right in the posting) where users can share the "Automatic Placements" that are/were irrelevant or questionable so that each user can determine if they want the possibility of their ad on that particular website or not and be able to exclude the potential for placement.

I'm requesting approval for everyone to be able to post their Automatic Placements (Eric? Community Manager) as I don't want to break any rules or TOU/TOS.

I believe that this could be a very useful tool for anyone utilizing "Automatic Placements" as we all want to know where our ads are being placed. (I also use managed placements but use Automatic for additional placements)

Thanks!

RPquest

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: RE: Automatic Placements Posting--Request For Approval

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 13
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Yes that makes sense, and it´s a legitimate question that I´d be happy to see someone at Google answer.

Regarding audiences, that works a little different, and the concept is somewhat confusing.

If you mean "Interest" that´s based on users former visits to certain categories of website and based on cookies in their browser. I guess that if you visited 10 MMO sites during, let´s say, a week, you would be categorised as "Interested in vard massive multiplayer games" and I could target you by choosing that category in the AdWords interface, and my ads might be shown to you also when you are browsing other sites in the display network.

But I don´t really know much about how this works in detail (what exactly is a category? what must I have done and when to be categorised in a certain way? etc)

http://adwords.blogspot.se/2011/06/reach-your-audience-with-interest.html

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello RPquest,

We cannot discount the fact that Display Network is not as result oriented as Search Network for the majority of advertisers in our country. But I believe, that Display Network Advertising suits certain niches.

I always check my automatic placements on a weekly basis, I go to Dimensions Tab & select Automatic Placements to do so.

I can see & evaluate those sites & check if those are supplying quality & specific traffic to my website as well as if these are most likely the avenue to earn conversions.

I understand that the competition here is more costly than Search.  I took the risk & test the market. At the middle of my battle, there was a point that I wanted to abort the mission. Due to higher price, lower ranking, super low CTR & lots of unprofitable sites matched to my ads. However, as days passed by, as soon as I see where I am being pulled down, it makes me more tough to test different combinations to make things happen.

I work on my inputs. Redesigned my Banner (Made it compelling & inviting), Empowered my content (add fresh,original,unique information for the viewers), Added Short Entertaining Video on my site.

I worked on my outputs. I executed best practices in running a campaign in Display Network.

And with the irrelevant automatic placements where my ads are shown (after a month of poor conversion vs my investment) , I added those on my excluded sites.

If you are going to realize, AdWords is only an avenue. 

Your website competitiveness still matters.

More Power,

Loraine

More Power,
Loraine

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi LoraineQuiaoit,

Thanks for your reply.

My original post was to request approval to create an avenue for everyone to be able to post/share some of those Automatic Placements that seemed irrelevant and/or undesirable.

I also go to Dimensions Tab to exclude undesirable Automatic Placements more frequently than weekly.

As I'm sure you know, only a very small percentage of sites are actually listed under the Dimension Tab that allow for exclusion. Example: 1 month analysis  7600 impressions listed under Dimension Tab 50,000+ under Display Network Tab for Automatic Placements.

That means that my ads are showing 42,000+ times on Automatic Placements that are not listed and there is no way of knowing exactly where they were placed allowing for possible exclusion.

**If users are allowed to Post/Share sites that were identifyable on THEIR Dimension Tab, it could be a usefull tool in helping identify the unidentified and allow for possible exclusion by others. (I hope that makes sense)

Thanks,

RPquest

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I agree that is rather annoying.
If you run a CPM-campaign you´ll be able to see if not perhaps all at least many more of the placements your ads have been shown, the reason being that they have accrued costs, whereas cpc ads that were shown but not clicked didn´nt and Google thus doesn´t feel obliged to report where they were shown.

I don´t know if there is any difference in the amount of placements being reported, but have you looked at "automatic placements" under the display-network tab?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I encountered two high risk websites blocked on my end, where I assume some of our viewers experience the warning as well.

I am not aware if this is converted to invalid click or if it's actually charged.

More Power,
Loraine

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello everyone;

I agree with the above. Because of all the reasons / arguments that you listed I, personally, do not use automatic placements.

Ask the client to make a list of 20-30 most known sites in his business and use managed placements.

Another alternative is to use "topics" or "audiences".

These methods , though bring fewer impressions, tend (well .. in my view), to result in more relevant clicks.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi LoraineQuiaoit,

I had a similar issue with my ads showing on a Hacked website and was also showing adult content.

I was actually being charged but after contacting Google to make them aware of the Hacked website, they ultimately credited my account.  I can only wonder how many other users have similar experiences. (Ergo requesting approval to start a thread/topic from the Community Managers to post websites like this along with irrelent placements.

If anyone is able to contact a Community Manager Directly, please ask them to read this topic and advise.

Thanks!

RPquest

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi MosheTLV,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. In addition to Automatic Placements, I also use Topics but not Audiences.  May I ask if you have had much success with ROI using Audiences?  I'm hesitant to use as I notice (thru analysis) that there are so many unidentifiable users.  Does Audiences exclude those because they can't identify the actual user??

Thanks again,

RPquest

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello RPquest;

billing / credits are taken care by the local Google offices.

Have you called on this matter to your local Google customer Service?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi MosheTLV,

Yes, I had previously contacted Customer Service that did credit my account.

Thanks

RPquest