AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Questions from a novice

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Several questions:

If I was managing AdWords accounts for clients, do I allow them to have full access to the Google Adwords Interface? I understand that the Learning Center suggests that we allow minimal access (maybe Report Only) for our clients. What if they request full access to the AdWords Interface? Does it work if I include access level into the contract?

My understanding is that Google will charge us and then we will charge the clients. So basically the clients will know how much our cost is and how much we are making out of the job? Is that correct?

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Questions from a novice

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi acrm, there are a number of ways to handle client accounts and the method you choose is really down to you.  However, I personally would always recommend transparency with your clients and that they "own" their accounts.  In other words, the way I prefer to work is for a client to open (or already have) their own Adwords account to which I'm granted manager access.  In this way they have complete access to their account at any time, and they are responsible for payments, etc.

I think this is a fair way to work as we've seen many posts on this board from clients who have found when they want to change managers that their account was run under another company and they have no rights to access their own campaign details.

One key problem with this approach is, of course, that the client can always "get in" and make changes so you have to be quite firm in terms of how the account is managed, what you'll expect them to do (or not do) and so on.

Does this help?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

As Jon says, it's a best practice to let clients own the accounts.  You can manage them from a My Client Center (MCC).  See:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=7725

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi acrm, there are a number of ways to handle client accounts and the method you choose is really down to you.  However, I personally would always recommend transparency with your clients and that they "own" their accounts.  In other words, the way I prefer to work is for a client to open (or already have) their own Adwords account to which I'm granted manager access.  In this way they have complete access to their account at any time, and they are responsible for payments, etc.

I think this is a fair way to work as we've seen many posts on this board from clients who have found when they want to change managers that their account was run under another company and they have no rights to access their own campaign details.

One key problem with this approach is, of course, that the client can always "get in" and make changes so you have to be quite firm in terms of how the account is managed, what you'll expect them to do (or not do) and so on.

Does this help?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

As Jon says, it's a best practice to let clients own the accounts.  You can manage them from a My Client Center (MCC).  See:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=7725

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 4
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi acrm,

Yes, as Jon and Richard mentioned, we do recommend to be transparent with your clients. When they request an access, it's you who decides what access level you grant to them. This help center article should help you to decide which access level would be the best for your clients. 

Best,

Zee

Zee
G+

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Let the customer own his account. Right now, I have a situation where a client is unhappy with result so far. Problem is, the former manager refuses to allow access to adwords and analytics. He won't even show which ads where running.... As a matter of fact the customer has no confirmation whatsoever, that the money "spent" was spent for clicks. 

Anyways, messed up to the disadvantage of this particular customer. 

Wishing you luck. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for all your inputs. Smiley Happy