AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Questions about the id of campaign, keyword and ad.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know there is a unique id for campaigns, keywords and ads in adwords, but I still wonder that if there is a chance that a campaign and a ad(or keyword) have the same id?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Questions about the id of campaign, keyword and ad.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

HI JerryHouse,

I'm not really sure what you are asking here. Can you explain more?

I have seen the ad id column that you can add, but not the others.

What would you want to do with the data?

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

I'm guessing that, it's possible that keywords do have some sort of ID that allows Google to store relevant data and analyze it in bulk.

I'm also guessing that any campaign-level and keyword-level IDs that might be used for identification or storage would be built on two different conventions--so, no, I would not say it's likely for a campaign and a keyword to have the same ID.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Jerry,

> I know there is a unique id for campaigns, keywords and ads in adwords,

> but I still wonder that if there is a chance that a campaign and a ad(or keyword) have the same id?

Yes, that can and does happen.  It is somewhat rare, but I've certainly seen it a few times.  If you do anything that assumes that IDs are always unique across different types of object, you're gonna have a bad time.

For example. if you're writing some API client code and want to make that assumption to save some time, don't.  It will cost you more time later.  Trust me on this.  I've made similar mistakes before and I work here so I should have known better.

Laura

AdWords engineer