AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Questions about running a long tail keyword campaign

mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

I am setting a campaign for the Google display network and I have a couple of questions about keywords

I dont have a big budget, so I was thinking of using plenty of long tail keywords.

Thus, the idea would be getting a lot of cheap clicks distributed among many different non competive keywords, where each keyword only gets a small number of cheap clicks

My questions are:

1. The keywords that dont perform, low CTR, should I disable them? Or I leave them because they cost me little money?
  2. The CPC bid limit: would a good idea be starting with a low limit hoping to use whole budget? Then, if I dont use all the budget to increase it manually a bit every day until whole budget is used?

Thanks

mg

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Questions about running a long tail keyword campaign

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi mg;

I concur with Pete. I do not use "long tail" keywords on display, to allow the system to find relevant pages (using contextual targeting). But I do try to use KWs without too broad meaning . You might also want to add placements or topics to narrow the sites targeted (by contextual targeting).

As for bidding: though the new "display tab" offers biddings on specific KWs, I have not seen any advantage to that. I keep the default bid for all keywords (on DN).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi mg,

Generally speaking, clicks from the DN are cheap. Long tail keywords can often bring you cheaper clicks, but the number of impressions you will get will be limited. I would set an expectation for performance on each of the keywords. If the CTR is lower than your expectation, I would pause or delete that keyword.

I suggest you don't go too far out with the long tail keywords, and maybe include some "competitive" (short tail?) keywords so you can compare performance. Set your daily budget to be no more than you are comfortable with losing. The problem with raising your bid to use up your budget is that you will get lower quality clicks when you bid higher. I look at it like a pool. You skim the best stuff off the top for fairly cheap. The deaper you go into that pool, the more expensive it gets. Raising your CPC Max bid takes you deeper into the pool.

It's a bit different for each market and industry. The best thing to do is test, evaluate, adjust, test, evaluate, adjust .....

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Pete

Good advice, I will have both long and short tail keywords to compare

In relation to the CPC max, say that I have a 70 e/day budget. I was thinking that i could:

start with a low CPC max for my industry. For example CPC max=0.3

If it does not reach the daily budget, I willl assume the CPC was not competitite enough and increase a bit the CPC by 0.01 until I find a CPC that uses all the daily budget

In summary,to find the lowest CPC max that uses the daily budget . Does that make sense?

Thanks

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi mg;

I concur with Pete. I do not use "long tail" keywords on display, to allow the system to find relevant pages (using contextual targeting). But I do try to use KWs without too broad meaning . You might also want to add placements or topics to narrow the sites targeted (by contextual targeting).

As for bidding: though the new "display tab" offers biddings on specific KWs, I have not seen any advantage to that. I keep the default bid for all keywords (on DN).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’