AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Questions about Website Call Conversions - Please Help

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hi everyone!

I have a series of questions about website call conversions that I just can't seem to find or get a straight answer about them. I was hoping some you might know the answers. Thanks in advance for your help!

• Are website call conversions considered mobile or desktop conversions when you segment the data by device type?
  • What if you are managing multiple websites in one AdWords account and each website has a different phone number. Can you still use website call conversions? Or will it only work for just one phone number in this case?
  • Can you set up website call conversions using Google Tag Manager?
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nick F
September 2015

Re: Questions about Website Call Conversions - Please Help

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nick,

- Are website call conversions considered mobile or desktop conversions when you segment the data by device type? - Both, if call has converted from the traffic received from Desktop device then it's Desktop conv., similarly any call conv. through Mobile traffic will go under Mobile Device. 

- What if you are managing multiple websites in one AdWords account and each website has a different phone number. Can you still use website call conversions? Or will it only work for just one phone number in this case? - Yes, you can still use website call conversion, as at the time of setting up Call Conversion tracking it doesn't ask for a website domain where you want to use/track it. It simply asks for Value, Call Length, Count, Conversion Window and Category. So, one Call Conversion tracking will be applicable for all the campaigns/domains within an account. It is recommended to use unique Phone Numbers for different domains/sites to track the data correctly.

- Can you set up website call conversions using Google Tag Manager? - Yes, as explained by Tommy.

Regards,
Ashish

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Nick,

I'll take a stab at a couple of your questions here.  First, there was a great hangout regarding AdWords Website Call Conversions last week - it's worth listening to/watching, they covered many questions along with installation and basic info. https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/ck5odbmoqdr1olrg7j4iosk8t7k

I'm not exactly positive about the mobile/desktop interactions work, my guess is that if it's a mobile click on a website forwarding number, AdWords would attribute the conversion to a mobile device, just like a call extension with a forwarding phone number.

The tricky part about using multiple websites is that indeed as some tests have shown, the same number will be used, almost at an account level.  That may not be great for some situations. http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2015/03/24/adwords-call-tracking-bug

Yes, I successfully implemented Website Call Conversions using GTM just last week.  I followed this post from @Dave_Davis - one of my fellow TC's and it is perfect.  https://www.redflymarketing.com/blog/adwords-call-tracking-guide-gtm/

Hope this helps out!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nick F
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nick,

- Are website call conversions considered mobile or desktop conversions when you segment the data by device type? - Both, if call has converted from the traffic received from Desktop device then it's Desktop conv., similarly any call conv. through Mobile traffic will go under Mobile Device. 

- What if you are managing multiple websites in one AdWords account and each website has a different phone number. Can you still use website call conversions? Or will it only work for just one phone number in this case? - Yes, you can still use website call conversion, as at the time of setting up Call Conversion tracking it doesn't ask for a website domain where you want to use/track it. It simply asks for Value, Call Length, Count, Conversion Window and Category. So, one Call Conversion tracking will be applicable for all the campaigns/domains within an account. It is recommended to use unique Phone Numbers for different domains/sites to track the data correctly.

- Can you set up website call conversions using Google Tag Manager? - Yes, as explained by Tommy.

Regards,
Ashish

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Thanks for your help guys! I thought through your answers and they made complete sense to me. Thanks for the article about implementing website call conversions through GTM too! That is going to come in handy!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Ashish,

In reference to your comments regarding desktop and mobile, would you care to elaborate on how "You can better test it by assigning one Phone number to Desktop ads and one to Mobile ads." while using website call conversions?

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tommy,

Let me try to explain my point again. Normally, I create one campaign for Desktop and one for Mobile devices using same set of keywords and adjust my bids in such a way that I prevent most of the impressions/traffic of Desktop to not show on campaign running Mobile ads only. In desktop campaign I do -100% bid adjustment for mobile devices (so my ads will not show on mobile devices) and in Mobile campaign I do 300% bid adjustment and keep the bids of keywords so low that it rarely show on Desktop. This way I am able to optimize the keywords on both devices a lot better because the CTR/Acg. CPC/ Conv. rate of both devices vary a lot.

Now, rather than relying on using Google Forwarding number I prefer to show my own number and track Calls data internally. Reason being, when my ad shows on Desktop device with my own number in call extension, there are chances user may save that number to call me later. But if I use Google Forwarding number and if the user saves it, he/she may not be able to call back on that Google forwarding number and I lose a potential call. Secondly, to count Calls as Conversions I have to specify a minimum amount of seconds/minutes for that call to be counted as call conversion. Now, most of the advertisers would be using at least 30 seconds for a call to be considered as a quality call and thus can also be counted as call conversion. But what about the users hanging up before 30 seconds? They will not be counted as call conversion and will not show under Call Conversion Column in adwords. So, the adwords number may show incomplete picture to us.

And if your business requires talking to your customer, such as for setting up an appointment or requesting a quote, it is recommended to use the option "Just the phone number" as I just want the user to make a call rather than visit my site on mobile. If I use this option then my phone number will not show on desktop devices, in case I am running my campaign for both Desktop and Mobile devices.

Another advantage of using 2 different phone numbers is I can easily identify from the call that where has the user come from i.e. desktop or mobile device without even looking at adwords data.

So, it all depends on the business needs whether to run both Desktop and Mobile in same campaign (with same phone number) or in separate campaigns (with same or different phone numbers). Above explanation is just my opinion on how I think and optimize and may vary from advertiser to advertiser.

I hope I am able to clear my point. Please do let me know if anything is still not clear, I will try to explain it again.

Regards,
Ashish

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Ashish,

Thanks for the reply.

This is all fine and well, a perfectly acceptable approach. I guess my question was about your approach in regards to tracking call conversions on a website using website call conversions in particular, which was, I believe, the original question here (it was not about call extensions). 

I'm just not making the connection between your strategy and the question as asked, which is why I was seeking clarification. 

-Tommy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tommy,

I just read my post again and I think I have mixed two things in one i.e. Call conversions with call extensions. Thanks for pointing this out. I will edit that post to remove that line. And apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
Ashish

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ashish.
If you want to use your own phone numbers on your site (or client's website), you have to look at another solution than Google Forwarding Numbers.
Forwarding Phone Numbers are great to count phone calls, record the calls and provide other data that will help you imporve ROI, but one of the con's is using phone numbers that don't belong to you.
If you are using WordPress look here at: http://www.wp-phone-leads.com you will get less data compare to Google Forwarding Numbers, BUT you can use your OWN phone numbers.
Good luck
Zohar Amihud

Questions about Website Call Conversions - Please Help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are having this issue with multiple domains using one advertising account. 

We have website phone call tracking setup.  Each domain has its own uniwue Conversion Action and Conversion Code.   However when user clicks on ad for site A, the phone number changes on the site.  Then if user visits site b,c,d.  The same phone number will show up on the site, and the call forwarded to SiteA phone.   What are we doing wrong.  Confirmed with support you can use multiple domains.