AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Question regarding blogspot and country specific url redirection

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hi just as a matter of curiosity ...

afaik blogspot now uses country specific redirections.

Most users just know it as blogspot.com 

What happens now in regards to running ads to a blog and country specific redirections?

Does an ad end up in violation because the ad destination or display url is blogspot.com 
Yet a person that may be from another country clicks an ad and gets redirected to their local version

eg blogspot.co.uk which is a different domain??

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Question regarding blogspot and country specific url redirection

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi whims;
The destination URL is the landing page the user "lands" after all redirects. So, if the blog is on blogpost.co.uk - this is the destination URL
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Thanks MosheTLV, I understand this, however I guess the point I am trying to make is that ppl using blogger dont control the actual redirects, blogger does.

eg I'm in the US, I target the US however I still get ppl from other countries clicking on my ads
and an advertiser isnt going to know when someone from another country may click an ad and end up redirected.

How does the adwords system take this kind of thing into account?

- I'm not finding anything in the Blogger help docs about the country specific redirection
Nor am I seeing any info to bring it to advertisers attention in the adwords docs or on how to override the redirect so that everything goes to blogspot.com rather than being redirected (though there are methods out there for doing so) or for that matter how to ensure all traffic goes to the country specific url instead (if that is at all possible)

It's kind of a catch22 situation.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
when a user opens a new blog does he get the local domain? or blogpost.com. The geo targeting is based on user physical location, the domain is just for destination url. So, i could have a blogpost.co.uk and still target users in Australia
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I'm speaking specifically about blogger - blogspot.com blogs.

Say your blog address is myblog.blogspot.com

As a reader of your blog ...
if I am in US - I will get sent to myblog.blogspot.com
If i am in Australia.. blogger might redirected me to myblog.blogspot.com.au
If I am in UK -blogger might redirected me to the same blog but on myblog.blogspot.co.uk
If I am in Italy - blogger might redirected me to the same blog but on myblog.blogspot.it

Ok.. so your blog is on myblog.blogspot.com
However say you set your location target for a campaign to Spain.
Should you (the advertiser) enter the destination and display url as myblog.blogspot.com or
myblog.blogspot.es

OR

Should the display url be entered as myblog.blogspot.com
With the destination url entered as myblog.blogspot.com/ncr
(to prevent the blogger redirect from kicking into affect)

From blogger help docs

Why does my blog redirect to a country-specific URL? (ccTLD)

Q: Why am I seeing a URL change?
A: In the next few months the website address of a blog you're reading may be redirected to a country-specific domain. For example, if you're in Australia and viewing [blogname].blogspot.com, you might be redirected to [blogname].blogspot.com.au. The country-specific domain should correspond to the country where you're currently located.

Does blogger's country redirect of readers, also affect adwords ads destination urls

Question regarding blogspot and country specific url redirection

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Maybe, this is too old discussion, but, I have a problem here. My blog is blogspot.com, but when I share a link from it on Google+, the shared link seems as blogspot.be. The irony is that I live in the Middle East (KSA), and I'm not sure I did any modifications anywhere in my blog to make such redirection happens.

Now, I have 3 Questions:

1. Who may have done this? and Why?

2. May this make any effect on my blog's traffic ranking?

3. Subsequently, is it possible that someone does this intentionally for someone's sake, so that they may keep my traffic rank lower? (Is it possible anyway?)

I'm not a computer expert, just a professional writing in the field of construction and real estate.