AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Question about targeting methods in display network

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am confused about a display campaign we are currently running which is not doing what I want it to do. I've spoken to an AdWords rep on the phone and they were unable to answer my query correctly. 

Here is the issue: - 

1) I have a custom audience list  set to target and bid.

2) Two topics are selected set to target and bid.

3) I have a small selection of keywords in the display keywords.

Now I was under the impression my ad would only show to people on my custom audience list, who are on pages which have the keywords I have selected on them that must also be in the topic category I have selected. 

However my ads are getting shown on placements that often have absolutely nothing to do with my topics or keywords. This doesn't make any sense to me, as surely all my targeting criteria must match for my ad to show? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Question about targeting methods in display network

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Phil,

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page there is table regarding the combination of multiple targeting methods. Your ads should only show to users who match all your targeting criteria so there must be some issue with the setup. Two things to check:

- Are the keywords set to Target and Bid?

- Is Target and Bid used in every ad group in the display campaign(s)?

One other thing to consider is that sometimes your ads may show on placements that seem unrelated to the keywords and topics that you’re targeting. In cases like these, it’s possible that your ads are being shown to someone based on their recent browsing history or other factors, rather than the content of the page they’re currently viewing. So, your ads are still relevant to the person seeing them.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
How can I check the targeting setting of the display keywords? It appears I Ican't choose bid only or target and bid for that targeting method like I can the others.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I may have misspoke. When using multiple targeting methods you won't see target and bid on the keywords but on the topics and placements only. It's confusing because the link that I provided talks about setting display keywords at "Target and Bid".

Based on that I'd just make sure each individual ad group has all possible settings set to "Target and Bid". If done correctly there will be a ven diagram that looks like the one below in the "+Targeting" section of each ad group. The available impressions should only be equal to the overlapping sections of the circles. If this is the case then I'm guessing that the situation is what I explained in the last paragraph of my first response.

Campaign Management – Google AdWords.png

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.