AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Quality Score otpimization

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

I am new in SEM and I am trying to optimize an adwords account but there is some issues I can not handle so I will be very thankful to have your advices.

My first question is about the QS of some KWs.

The stats about them look like this:

Quality score Learn more 10/10 
Expected click-through rate: Average
Ad relevance: Average
Landing page experience: Average

Quality score Learn more 4/10 

How I am supposed to use these values to optimize my account when they are average for both QS 10/10 and 4/10? 

The other problem I met yesterday when creating a new adgroup was that I choose 5-6 quite relevant KWs set on exact match, KW includited in the ad title, derived verb used in the ad body; the landing page directs to the service advertized in the ad; max bid set twice higher than the first page est. bid. 

Why my ad is not displayed and why my QS is just 4/10?

Displaying·ads right now?
No 
Although your ad is showing, its rank is not high enough to place it on the first page of search results. What can I do?
Quality score Learn more 4/10 
Ad relevance: Above average

The last convern I have is about the KWs with low search volume but high QS. Should I leave them in the ad groups waiting for query to trigger the ads or should I remove them? 

Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author mihailll
September 2015

Re: Quality Score otpimization

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello mihailll,

Quality Score is a vital part of Google Adwords and quite a bit of challenge for most of the advertisers in the sense to sustain it.

Adwords rank your keyword based on various factors and assign a QS from 1 to 10, where 10 is the highest and best.

Your goal should be to try and maintain your account with high QS keywords. I know it's not possible for every keyword to have QS of 10, but you should be optimizing the account regularly to improve it.

For keywords which doesn't improve on QS (like 2,3,4) after good amount of time, it's better that they should be turned off. Rather, other variations should be tried so as to have high quality score.

Now, your Quality Score is initally given depending upon the historical account performance or how other advertisers have used it in the past. After that, when account starts growing, Adwords will re-allocate the QS depending upon how you are keeping with it.

In order to improve the QS, first and foremost thing is to improve the CTR of your keywords. Work harder to improve on it.

Look at the search terms and see how often the queries exactly match your keywords. This is really important. If most of the times, queries are exactly matching your keywords in the account, chances are that your Quality Score will see an uplift gradually.

Relevancy is certainly very important in Google's eyes. So, make sure that you are using right relevant keywords and taking the user to specific relevant page of your website, which he is looking for.

You can read the optimization steps mentioned here.

To answer your second part, due to low Ad Rank, your ads are not showing.

Ad Rank =  Max. CPC X Quality Score.

Higher the QS, higher will be ad rank and lower will be your Avg. CPC. Try improving on the Quality Score, it will impact the ad rank. You can read here for more details.

Coming to last part, low search volume keywords are the ones for which Google doesn't have enough data and in order to maintain the quality of Adwords, your ads are not shown for these terms.

You are right in your approach that one way is to leave them if QS is good and let Google decide when more users start searching for it, your ad will autmatically qualify.

Otherwise, if nothing is happening, I would suggest you to look for other variations and try them to attract more relevant traffic.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi mihailll,

If you are getting the 10/10 as your QS is the best thing but anything above a 5-7 is also considered as good quality score.

You can improve your QS by improving your relevance in between of your keywords, Ads and Landing Page. Once this improves, your CTRs will improve.

Keep in mind one thing is that you cannot improve your quality score in snap of finger. It can take your time, your efforts and patience too.

Best practices to improve QS are given below:

- Try to get good CTRs

- create relevant ad copy and use Keywords in headline,

- Ad copy should be appealing and use call to actions

- Adgroup should have tightly themed Keywords

- Use appropriate Landing Page for your ads

Why my ad is not displayed and why my QS is just 4/10?

Here you need to improve your avg position and QS too because its rank is not high enough to place it on the first page of search results.

Ad position is determined by your Ad Rank in the auction. Your Ad Rank is a score that's based on your bid and your Quality Score.

To improve your ad rank, you can increase your bid, or you can focus on improving your Quality Score.

Visit this link : https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics-get-started/Ingredients-of-the-Quality-Sco...

Edit: Very Nice Explaination Panakj, I'm far too slow today due to my Net Smiley Tongue!

Thanks
Anchal

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, Pankaj!

I know that I should optimize the the account in order to serve the best results for the searchers, etc. But the point is how to optimize it when the quality values that should the be main cluest to help an optimizer are equal for both QS 10/10 and QS 4/10 when the QS score is based on the CTR, ad relevance, landing page and other factors like historical performance of the KWs. I am trying to analyze where are the weak points of my ads and still can not figure this out. 

Check this example

Displaying·ads right now?
Yes 
Quality score Learn more 3/10 

How I am supposed to know where is the problem when the values of CTR, Ad revelance and Landing page experience are just the same as the one I have for KW with QS 10/10?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again,

I think it would be quite early to comment on this because you said you started working on the account sometime back.

I will set the realistic expectations here and advice you not to see immediate changes in your Quality Score. The process is slow and gradual...

Keyword diagnosis is simply telling you the results based on search queries and ads in your account. 

You shouldn't be bother about keywords with QS 10 as you said above. Keywords with QS 4 are a bit of concern. But again as I said above initially QS is allocated based on how other advertisers used them in the past. That could be one of the reason you are getting a hit currently. My suggestion would be wait till the stats get accumulated in your account and work towards improving CTR, Search terms explained above. You should expect positive changes down the line.

Hope that makes sense now!

Pankaj

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Thanks for the great tips here guys! There are some great suggestions here. 

I just wanted to clarify something that Pankaj mentioned earlier. If it is a new campaign, it is important to give the keywords a little bit of time to settle into their quality score. Until the keywords have a lot of impressions (into the high hundreds in some cases) the industry average quality score will be used. This can explain an initially low quality score in an account. 

A. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Until the keywords have a lot of impressions (into the high hundreds in some cases) the industry average quality score will be used. This can explain an initially low quality score in an account. 

One would expect the industry average to be around 5/10 , it is near to impossible to have an industy average of  2/10 !!

(yes i did my math on this one)