AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Quality Score as published in accounts: a simple pattern?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I analyzed the new Quality Score data Google provides since May 15th, I seem to have discovered a very simple pattern: Each distinctive rating pattern of [expected CTR], [ad relevance] and [landing page experience] invariably leads to a predictable Quality Score.

Example:

- Expected CTR: "above average"

- Ad Relevance: "average"

- Landing Page Experience: "below average"

==> In this pattern, Quality Score will always be 6.

Based on a sample of 1 Mio. keywords, each of the 27 possible rating patterns led to a certain Quality Score, without any exceptions. I published the compiled list in our blog (post is in german, btw).

Can you guys confirm this?

At the same time, the data showed very clearly, that [expected CTR] and [landing page experience] seem to have the same weight, whereas [ad relevance] has a lower impact on Quality Score.

I'm aware of the fact that the published Quality Score is only an approximation of the real thing, but I was still astonished how simple the mechanism of the published QS seems to be.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This is interesting..  But we need to investigate deeper into the statistical method applied.

How many KWs did you check and what is the variance of of the results?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there

- Sample was roughly 1 Mio. Keywords in 10 Accounts

- Variance was 0 (as in zero...)

The method was quite simple, actually - mo complex statistics necessary: I stringed together the three ratings (which led to 3*3*3 = 27 different rating patterns) and took a look at the QS per pattern. What emerged was an invariate QS per pattern, in 100% of all cases. 

Re: Quality Score as published in accounts: a simple pattern?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@lstuber;

Let me bring this to the attention of Google and check with Google whether the QS product team is willing to comment  about your findings.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @lstuber,

Read your article, checked keywords of mine and found your statements seem true, based on data. (Not sure though whether or not they will remain correct. Maybe we only see initial values.) No complex stats needed as you said and standard deviation is currently 0.00%. 

The above said I don't expect Google to comment on it. 

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

We can now expect the formula to change... if your published findings are/were correct. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hardly, right? I didn't reengineer the formula, of course, but simply its approximation. And the weightings make sense for both Google and Advertisers, I think.