AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Purposely writing poor performing ads & mobile device preference.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I use googles mobile call functionality quite a lot.  The thing is with mobile there are only two top space ads vs. 3 top space ads on computers.

Often is the case where I narrow in on a KW that converts really well for me, I just hit that perfect combination of great KW, super relevant high CTR ad copy, and congruence with my services and the searchers needs.

When this happens I usually want to get my average mobile position > 2.  Lets say I have a QS of 10.  Now im incrementally increasing my bids to get to that sweet spot.

Here is my question:

I don't want computer clicks.  I hate computer clicks.  They don't convert and they cost me money.  I want people to phone in exclusivley.  But when I find these great KW and I crank my bids to get the mobile position, I simultanously increase my computer traffic (and my spend goes up) 

My great high CTR ad is showing on computers and getting clicks (even in positions 4-6, im using a 300% mobile bid)

So what if I wrote extremly blasé ads in all my adgroups, so computer impressions see this unenticing ad (and the high CTR ads would have mobile preferance enabled).  Would this work?  What would the consequences be regarding CTR and QS on the adgroup and keywords as a whole?  Does maintaining a stellar CTR on my mobile ad compensate?  Has anyone ever done this?  Can we get legacy campaigns back?!?!?!?!?

Thanks!

Clay

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Purposely writing poor performing ads & mobile device preferen

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Clay,

Unfortunately, legacy campaigns have been a past now and it's all about Enhanced campaigns now as far as my understanding goes.

What I can suggest you in terms of your mobile dedicated campaign is that did you check the ad group level bid adjustment for your mobile campaign ad groups? On top of the campaign level setting, if you want you can have custom ad group Device related bid adjustment as well.Also, you can try and make changes to the respective ad group level bidding and use the mathematical calculations to see if you can further reduce the bidding so that your mobile friendly ad is not shown on desktops. I know this is a bit challenging but you might try this.

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@ Gemma L, you cannot do -100% neither for computers nor for tables as if now. It's only applicable to mobile devices till date. But you never know we might get this feature in future.

@ Clay, as an additional option why don't you try WAP Mobile ad version where you only choose to give phone number option in your ad, so that user can simply call you and that's what I think you are looking for.

WAP AD.png

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Clay,

Unfortunately, legacy campaigns have been a past now and it's all about Enhanced campaigns now as far as my understanding goes.

What I can suggest you in terms of your mobile dedicated campaign is that did you check the ad group level bid adjustment for your mobile campaign ad groups? On top of the campaign level setting, if you want you can have custom ad group Device related bid adjustment as well.Also, you can try and make changes to the respective ad group level bidding and use the mathematical calculations to see if you can further reduce the bidding so that your mobile friendly ad is not shown on desktops. I know this is a bit challenging but you might try this.

Pankaj

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I've just tried to edit my own campaign to give computers a -100% bid. I can't seem to do it, is this also your experience, I know it's possible to do for mobiles if you've not got a mobile version of your website. It's under the device settings (at the top where your campaign is described).

I would have thought with enhanced settings you could do a negative enhancement for computers - it would make a lot of sense.

I'm just wondering if there's a way to add "just pick up your phone" or somesuch that'll speak to your mobile and computer users. My guess is that the click-to call is what you're aiming at?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@ Gemma L, you cannot do -100% neither for computers nor for tables as if now. It's only applicable to mobile devices till date. But you never know we might get this feature in future.

@ Clay, as an additional option why don't you try WAP Mobile ad version where you only choose to give phone number option in your ad, so that user can simply call you and that's what I think you are looking for.

WAP AD.png

Pankaj