AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Pros and Cons of Different Match Types?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What are the pros and cons of the different match types?  When might I want to use "broad" rather than "exact" or "phrase"?  Or "exact"?  Or "phrase"?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Pros and Cons of Different Match Types?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Ohiorick,

Uses of all three matches depend on the your business goal which you want to achieve through adwords. You can use Broad match keywords if you want to target as much as possible audience for your campaign. Broad match keywords has maximum chances to trigger your ad. For example if your keywords is "buy school shoes" then your ad can trigger for the keywords school shoes, buy shoes, buy school, shoes, buy and all other possible variation of keyword.

Phrase match is more relevant to your keyword and will trigger your ad if people search in same phrase, in phrase match all those keywords which triiger your ad are more relevant than broad match.

Exact match will show your ads when some type the exact keywords which you selected for ad group. You can use some exact match keywords for your ad group, choose those broad match keywords as exact match which gave you conversions.

In best pratices I'll suggest you to use the all three matches for ad groups. Broad match can get lots of clicks and may not give you desired results, so keep checking your search term report and keep monitoring the keywords. All those broad match keywords whcih are performing well, you can add these keywords as phrase and exact match also. 

How can I see which search terms triggered my ads?

Dinesh
My Blog

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Impressions are more for a broad match keyword compared to phrase match. So there might be chances of unnecessary clicks. 

Exact match keywords can be used when your budget is low. Broad and phrase match triggers lots of impressions. So using exact you can target right keywords to the customers.

ONly after testing your keywords using 3 match types you can find which match type works best for your business.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dinesh,

I'm using AdWords editor to clean up the negative keywords on some campaigns.  I took a look at the example in the old forum where they show the effect of the negative keyword phrase "fast blue" with "mercedes car", and how the three different match types affect results on variations of the search.  I get that.  What I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is what happens when the negative keyword phrase is longer than the positive keyword phrase.  An example from my own account is this: I want my ads to show when someone searches on "immersion heater" or its plural and misspellings (which are all positive, broad match type, keywords in my campaign), but I don't want them to show when someone searches on "12V immersion heater for coffee".

So, the short question is, if I make "12V immersion heater for coffee" a negative keyword is it better to run it as a broad match or a phrase so that I eliminate clicks on all of its variations, but still enable my ads to show when someone searches on "immersion heater"?  I think I want "immersion heater" to be a positive broad match, because I want the ads to show if someone searches on "immersion heater for brewing", "immersion heater for plating", "immersion heater for sulfuric acid", etc.

For some background on this (maybe this should be a different thread), I started adding a bunch of negative keywords and phrases--beyond the obvious ones--once I could see matched search terms in Analytics.  In the past, I had run my ads on automatic bidding, which resulted in pretty good click through rates and some really low CPCs, but I also knew my ads were running when my customers generally weren't looking, and that I wasn't outsmarting the site visitors who we didn't want and would never become customers anyway.  We cater to the industrial maintenance and engineering community, and we are trying to eliminate the "average consumer" who isn't really looking for the stuff we sell.  On automatic bidding, I'd find some outrageous (to me anyway) matches such as "bucket heaters" for "immersion heater".  We run a campaign for "bucket heaters", but it's an entirely different category with a different landing page, and when there were matches like this, the bounce rates were sky high, and the time on site was virutally nil.  I suspect that what was happening was that AdWords was shifting traffic to one campaign when my budget on the other was used up.  So, positive keywords from one product category's campaign became negative keywords for the other campaigns.  In addition, I also added the phrases and keywords that had shown up in Analytics that were truly irrelevant; e.g., "bong heaters", "aquarium heaters", "heaters for guinea pig cages", etc. and my negative keywords outnumber my positives by about 1.4:1. I also switched to manual bidding so I could schedule my ads for the hours when my target customers are actually looking.  As you can probably guess, the result is that I've messed up something, and impressions, real traffic, incoming contact, and sales are taking a dive, and my CPCs are climbing outrageously.  I'm working to undo the damage I've done, but without drawing back in the site visitors I don't want to pay for.  Maybe the better question is, is there a way to get the benefits of automatic bidding while limiting the hours my ads show?

Thanks,

Rick

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello, Rick.

Solely with regards to your keywords tactics, I think you should use +immersion +heater, +immersion +heater +plating, +immersion +heater +acid, +immersion +heater +sulfuric as "positive" broad match modified keywords.

I also think that you should include as many negative phrase matches as possible, with words you know for sure you do not want your ads to show for. Such as -"bucket", -"bong", -"aquarium", -"guinea" and their plurals.

This way your ad will show for any search term containing ALL words in your broad match modified keyword, close variations and misspellings. They will not show for any search terms containing at least one of the negative phrase match keywords.

A close and frequent look at your search terms will help you discover more and more one word negative phrase match candidates, because your ad will show for buckets, buket, acquarium, for instance (phrase match only blocks the exact word, not misspellings).  For even more negative phrase matches with a certain level of incidence on Google, use its instant search and start typing your negative keyword, and see what Google suggests. If you find anything you'd like to exclude, write it down.

You can also organize negative keywords in lists and share them between campaigns, if you want.

I have intentionally left out the negative broad match keywords, as they have proven unreliable / uncontrollable sometimes.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello RickGarber,

In simple way, if your are using Free as negative keyword in broad match, it will prevent your ad to trigger for all keywords which have Free keyword. You can use "12V immersion heater for coffee" as phrase or exact match, but if you use this as broad match it can prevent ads for immersion & heater related keywords.

Manual bidding has more control and you can change bid as per keywords performance. In order to decide when you want to stop your ad, use Dimension tab, click on it and then at Time select Hour of Day, this will show you performance of your campaign in hourly basis, check in which hours camapign perform well, raise bid for these hours and vice versa (check at least 25-20 days data). Kindly read the How do I schedule my ads to run at particular times of day to schedule the ads of your campaign.

Dinesh
My Blog

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Calin you are too fast and too accurate..... Smiley Happy

Dinesh
My Blog

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Thank you, Dinesh. There's more of me (us, actually) Smiley Happy.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dinesh,

Thank you.  I wasn't expecting such a rapid response.

Rick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Calin,

Thank you to you as well.  I'm going to get right on it.

Rick