AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Pros & Cons of separating mobile into different campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! 

What are the pros and cons of duplicating campaigns to target "mobile only". I would do this by using the +300% bid modifier and I understand that the "mobile" campaigns will still generate impressions and clicks on desktop. I would put a -100% bid modifier on my "Desktop campaigns".

Thank you. 

Martin.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MartT
October 2015

Re: Pros & Cons of separating mobile into different campaigns

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @MartT great question.

"Splitting" Campaigns (for any reason - budget, device, location, etc.) is almost always about greater control.  So if you're intending to split by device, you have to ask yourself whether doing this gives you more control than having just a single Campaign, and whether that control is worthwhile/necessary.

As you've already said, the most obvious benefit is controlling the budget as you can then decide how much to spend on desktop/tablets and how much to spend on mobiles (with some spill in the mobile only Campaign).  However you can also consider the impact of the device on other AdWords settings.  For example, in a country like the US with lots of very different States, it might be that mobiles work well in California, and very poorly in Louisiana.  If you're using a single Campaign you can't do anything about that because device bid adjustments can't be made by location. However, if you split your Campaign into mobile and non-mobile, you can then apply different location bid adjustments to each Campaign.  You could give California an increased bid adjustment in the mobile Campaign and Louisiana a decrease, and in the desktop Campaign you could do something else (based upon that data).

So a lot will depend upon how your Account is currently set up, and how (and who) you're targeting.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @MartT,

Device Bid Modifier can be used only with Mobile devices with full browsers. You can either increase or decrease bids on mobile devices, but you can't modify bids on Desktops.

Having said that, yes you can have two campaigns, one for mobile and another for desktop+tablets. Your strategy is fine with bid modifier i.e. +300% on mobile specific campaign and -100% on desktop one. Then, you cannot deny a competition between these two campaigns to some extent. But, that should be fine as long as you see good performance. It's worth experimenting. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply Ratan, I still don not understand which is the right way to go. I would be guessing that separating the campaigns will help budget control, however, it looks that the platform is made for having integrated campaigns. Is there a performance disadvantage when users separate their campaigns and try to target mobile only.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Well this is something you have to try and decide from first hand experience. I've tried this and got positive results. However I can't tell you that I wouldn't have got same positive respond if I did run both within in a same campaign.

As per my personal experience and opinion I would keep them together. Its easier to manage. But if you think you want to give it a try it's something worth trying out
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MartT
October 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @MartT great question.

"Splitting" Campaigns (for any reason - budget, device, location, etc.) is almost always about greater control.  So if you're intending to split by device, you have to ask yourself whether doing this gives you more control than having just a single Campaign, and whether that control is worthwhile/necessary.

As you've already said, the most obvious benefit is controlling the budget as you can then decide how much to spend on desktop/tablets and how much to spend on mobiles (with some spill in the mobile only Campaign).  However you can also consider the impact of the device on other AdWords settings.  For example, in a country like the US with lots of very different States, it might be that mobiles work well in California, and very poorly in Louisiana.  If you're using a single Campaign you can't do anything about that because device bid adjustments can't be made by location. However, if you split your Campaign into mobile and non-mobile, you can then apply different location bid adjustments to each Campaign.  You could give California an increased bid adjustment in the mobile Campaign and Louisiana a decrease, and in the desktop Campaign you could do something else (based upon that data).

So a lot will depend upon how your Account is currently set up, and how (and who) you're targeting.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits