AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5K members online now
5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Product Listing and Text Ad Campaigns

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've recently started noticing that for a few of my campaigns, my CTR for Text Ads has dropped to ZERO, while my CTR for Merchant Center Product Listings has actually risen to percentages I was never reaching with the text ads, here are a few examples:

Example 1

Example 2

In the above Examples, the ads with the top CTR are my Product Listings. 

So, my question is, should I move the product listning to it's own campaign, should I have just 1 campaign for all my products listings, should I leave them in the ad groups where they're doing well?

I'm just not sure of the best way to set up Product Listings and there doesn't appear to be a lot of info online about this. 

If anyone can direct me to a good site with good info, or give me a few tips I would be very greatful 

thanks. 

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by AmyB (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Product Listing and Text Ad Campaigns

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi ChrisNolen,

My Suggestion is to create separate campaign for Product listing Ads only.

While creating the campaign select "Extend my ads with relevant product details from Google Merchant Center" option in "Ad extensions".

To enable this you have to link up the Google Merchant account to Adwords account.

Once you are done creating the campaign. Go to Auto targets, Select Product target in it and give your unique ids to separate the listings by selecting the "Product type" drop down.

Finally create a Product listing Ad in the Ads section in the ad group.

Hope this helps

Raghu

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi ChrisNolan,

In addition to creating a different campaign for product listings ads, you might also want to consider creating different AdGroups for specific product targets (categories of product). For example, if you sold shoes, you might have one ad group for a product listing ad that has a product target filtering in summer shoes only. This is useful if you want to use different promotional messages on particular groups of products. 

Steps on setting up a product target that allows you to do the above can be found here:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2382955

Also useful to bear in mind is that by keeping product listings ads in their own campaign/adgroups, you can use the search terms report to see what keywords are triggering these ads to show. Although you can't influence what keywords trigger your ads to show, you can set negative keywords if you find any terms you really don't think are relevant to the products you are trying to sell. 

More details on the search terms report can be found here:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2472708

I hope this is helpful, have a good weekend!

Amy

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi ChrisNolen,

My Suggestion is to create separate campaign for Product listing Ads only.

While creating the campaign select "Extend my ads with relevant product details from Google Merchant Center" option in "Ad extensions".

To enable this you have to link up the Google Merchant account to Adwords account.

Once you are done creating the campaign. Go to Auto targets, Select Product target in it and give your unique ids to separate the listings by selecting the "Product type" drop down.

Finally create a Product listing Ad in the Ads section in the ad group.

Hope this helps

Raghu

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi ChrisNolen, 

Raghu has given you some nice tips there! This link also gives you some nice steps for creating a Product Listing Ads campaign if you'd like any help with setting them up!

Hope this helps!

A. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi ChrisNolan,

In addition to creating a different campaign for product listings ads, you might also want to consider creating different AdGroups for specific product targets (categories of product). For example, if you sold shoes, you might have one ad group for a product listing ad that has a product target filtering in summer shoes only. This is useful if you want to use different promotional messages on particular groups of products. 

Steps on setting up a product target that allows you to do the above can be found here:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2382955

Also useful to bear in mind is that by keeping product listings ads in their own campaign/adgroups, you can use the search terms report to see what keywords are triggering these ads to show. Although you can't influence what keywords trigger your ads to show, you can set negative keywords if you find any terms you really don't think are relevant to the products you are trying to sell. 

More details on the search terms report can be found here:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2472708

I hope this is helpful, have a good weekend!

Amy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Awesome, thank you very much!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great info, thank you SO much!