AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Product Listing Ads Showing Wrong Keywords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having some problems with product listing ads. 

For some reason, very few of my product listing ads are actually being triggered - but the ads that do trigger are being triggered for every possible keyword. For example, I currently have over 200 product listing ads, but over the weekend one product listing ad had 35,000 impressions with 700+ clicks, a couple of others had 200 impressions or less and the rest had none. Obviously, this led to a very low conversion rate and a very high cost per order (as customers were being directed to completely the wrong page). 

How do I control this and ensure that only the right product listing ads are being triggered? I don't want to have to pause them all or have to constantly monitor every single ad. 

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Product Listing Ads Showing Wrong Keywords

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Milkerz wrote:

Hi, sorry - yes I do know that about keywords my point was trying to be that usually I'm very targetted (and therefore get a good CPO) but this has made everything really expensive. 

I've seen the same thing.

Less relevant clicks, which I have reduced with negative exact keywords.

Clicks on products which have a low margin, and I have eliminated those by only showing part of my products (filtering by all sorts of criteria, including labels).

You can also exclude products from being shown as adwords ads (<g:adwords_publish>false</g:adwords_publish>).

There is a bit of work involved, and it's different from keyword targeting, but in my case it shows potential, and what's very comforting is that we get a higher percentage of new visitors through these campaigns so we're also doing a bit of branding.

David's suggestion regarding tweaking the feed content is also something to consider, I personally did not do that yet, as our feeds are generated "automagically" from the E-Commerce solution. It could be that Google uses the content on the landing page, and I'm sure it uses the product names and descriptions, along with brands and categories.

Good luck!

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

You can filter your product listing ads, you don't have to show them all, and you can also use negative keywords. And you can create various campaigns, for various product groups, and bid accordingly for each.

Here's a link where you can find a lot of useful information: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2456103

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. 

I can negative keywords, but as soon as I negative them in one ad group they all jump to another one. As I have almost 500 product listing ads it's also hard to constantly check the negative keywords (and I wouldn't expect most of the keywords to ever come into it anyway, I only use very targeted phrases in my keywords).

As I previously mentioned, for some reason only one ad is being triggered for almost all of the search terms and I don't know why this is Smiley Sad

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Wait a second. You do know that your ads are not triggered by the keywords you enter, right? And that the match between the search term a user enters and the ads that get shown is done by Google, based on the product name, description, etc.?

As long as a product is in your feed, and your campaign has product listing ads extensions enabled, your products can get shown even for very general search terms. And rest assured that if Google tried with one product and it got the click, it is smart enough to keep showing that product and keep getting clicks for it. And charging you for that, of course.

I found that the best way was to create completely separate Product Listing ads campaigns, and control them better. I only target certain product groups, and whenever I see a search term I think it's not targeted enough, I exclude it.

How did you setup your campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, sorry - yes I do know that about keywords my point was trying to be that usually I'm very targetted (and therefore get a good CPO) but this has made everything really expensive. 

My main problem is that the products that are showing are not in any way related to what people are searching for, therefore I'm being charged but no-one is converting. 

The campaign is just being set up with the Product Listing ad extension. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @Milkerz - welcome aboard.

Your first step may be looking at your feed titles/information. Google pulls alot of the relevancy from there.

So, QA your feed, and check whether there are ways of creating a more optimal feed. (This will do wonders for you in the organic Google Shopping results as well.)

Step 2 would be to add adwords_labels and adwords_grouping keywords to your feed, and start segmenting the bidding on your feed. This will allow you to identify which product in the feed is most likely generating the irrelevant clicks, and be profitable on everything else.

http://support.google.com/merchants/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=188479
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Milkerz wrote:

I've seen the same thing.

Less relevant clicks, which I have reduced with negative exact keywords.

Clicks on products which have a low margin, and I have eliminated those by only showing part of my products (filtering by all sorts of criteria, including labels).

You can also exclude products from being shown as adwords ads (<g:adwords_publish>false</g:adwords_publish>).

There is a bit of work involved, and it's different from keyword targeting, but in my case it shows potential, and what's very comforting is that we get a higher percentage of new visitors through these campaigns so we're also doing a bit of branding.

David's suggestion regarding tweaking the feed content is also something to consider, I personally did not do that yet, as our feeds are generated "automagically" from the E-Commerce solution. It could be that Google uses the content on the landing page, and I'm sure it uses the product names and descriptions, along with brands and categories.

Good luck!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Calin

From our tests, Google uses primarily the feed content to do ranking. We've seen alot of improvement by cleaning up the data.

I try not to promote myself / company on this forum, but I believe you would see alot of value in looking at the following youtube video we created to learn about the different elements of ranking well / creating keyword relevancy in your feed.

With google's focus on multiple formats, the ecommerce data side is a huge opportunity to increase traffic and sales.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxXrUWV2Vmk&list=UUVjljSN_voR9O8cfP3s7VNA&index=2&feature=plcp

(The 5 elements we've identified as being able to increase ranking are around minute 23)

Hope this helps.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Thanks a lot, David, for sharing that video. I'm only at the beginning of a Product Listing Ads journey, so I'm sure we (myself included) can use the results of your experiments. I'll have a look ASAP.

Later edit: didn't you see any effect of the product page (the ad landing page) in targeting products? Headers, URL bits, <strong> or <em> words? No intersection between SEO, and SEO page relevance and PLA relevance?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Calin,

We haven't tested that, to be honest.

From the speed that Google reviews and ranks your products (within hours of receiving the feed), I can't imagine they are recrawling the site, but I could be wrong.

On the flip side, they do seem to pull in product reviews through rich snippets into your feed (I can't find the help link for that now), so there may be some play. I don't have data on this.

Link to Google's guidelines on rich snippets for products:

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=146750