AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Product Listing Ads - Add Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've heard different opinions on adding keywords to Product Listing Ads. I am aware of adwords_groupings, adwords_labels and negative keywords to help target the most relevent search results. But if Google doesn't consider keywords in Product Listing Ads, why is there an Add Keywords button?

Maybe just answering my own question but is it so you can run both a text ad and PLA from the same Adgroup (not best practice)?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author alphabet
September 2015

Re: Product Listing Ads - Add Keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
You can run both a text and PLA ad from the same ad group. However, the settings won't affect each other.

The exception to that is the negative keywords, which apply to both PLA's and regular campaigns.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Liz (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Liz
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Liz
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello-

Thanks for posting! You are correct in that product listing ads do not work with the keyword paradigm. If you create a keyword list, this won't have any effect on your product listing ads or product targets at this time. Keep in mind, however, that you can use negative keywords. These will limit the queries for which your product listings will show. 

Still, as you mentioned in your post, you do have the option to add keywords to this campaign. This is because you can create non-product listing ads in the same campaign, which can be triggered by these keywords.  

More information about this is available in our Help Center: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2456103

Again, thank you for posting! Please let me know if you have further questions about this.

Best,

-Liz

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author alphabet
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
You can run both a text and PLA ad from the same ad group. However, the settings won't affect each other.

The exception to that is the negative keywords, which apply to both PLA's and regular campaigns.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Liz (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Liz
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Liz
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello-

Thanks for posting! You are correct in that product listing ads do not work with the keyword paradigm. If you create a keyword list, this won't have any effect on your product listing ads or product targets at this time. Keep in mind, however, that you can use negative keywords. These will limit the queries for which your product listings will show. 

Still, as you mentioned in your post, you do have the option to add keywords to this campaign. This is because you can create non-product listing ads in the same campaign, which can be triggered by these keywords.  

More information about this is available in our Help Center: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2456103

Again, thank you for posting! Please let me know if you have further questions about this.

Best,

-Liz

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
hello there,

This is the first question came in my mind when I have started my first PLA campaign after working in PPC since years.

I think I have got my answer from this discussion, Though, I have one question further to this.

If we add new keywords in PLA adgroups then which ad will it take and show on basic text ads? Is that mean we need to create adcopies in that case for that adgroup?

I am wondering why Adwords has that option of adding keywords in PLA ads, its just confusing people between your text and PLA campaign.

Why would one would like to trigger text ads from their PLA campaigns?

Sorry for the silly question!!