AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

Product Extension won't validate...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

This is an Adwords Product Extension Filter question but I have to provide Data Feed details to build the picture of my problem.

 

I added new product offerings to my Merchant Center data feed and added new Adwords campaigns for them over the weekend.  I messed up on the first series of new products and had the URL for the photo of the products in the data feed blocked by my robots.txt file.  So, when when I set up the Product Extension Filter in my Adwords campaign the validation failed.  I went back to the feed, found the error, and fixed it.

 

I proceeded with other new products in the data feed and new campaigns. All of the Product Extension Filters validate correctly except the first new campaign that was set up when there was a data feed problem with the blocked images.  The data feed was always set up correctly.  The directory is no longer blocked by the robots.txt file.  The newest products have images in the same directory and the Product Extension Filters all validate correctly EXCEPT for the one campaign that originally had blocked images.

 

It seems that something in the validation process is using old data.  Anybody have any experience with this?  Any ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Product Extension won't validate...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi cmorrison3,

 

It took me forever to figure out that blocking the googlebot in your robots.txt file will cause your feed to invalidate. And I have had trouble from time to time applying filters.

 

What are you using for filters? The only one I was able to get working was adwords_label. Product ad approvals are all done on the Merchant Center side. The AdWords team has nothing to do with it. Further, it's all automated with no manual intervention even possible. When you validate your filters, it must find at least one product that matches and has been approved for ads.

 

I think what I would try first is changing the filter to one you know works. If that validates, then check your data feed for the filter data your are entering and make sure there are some of those and that both are spelled exactly the same. After verifying all this, go back and try to validate again. I had to take a couple passes at the filters and data to get it to work for me.

 

Best of Luck!

 

Pete


petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Product Extension won't validate...

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Could also be a potential problem with the bot and recognizing that you have made the change.  You could just try to create a fresh new campaign and revalidate that way too.

Re: Product Extension won't validate...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am using Adwords Grouping to filter.  I don't have any problems on any of the products (and their groups) except the one that I messed up and blocked the images with the robots.txt file.  I was frustrated with myself for the mistake.  At the same time, the grouping is automated and I can't just go back and rename the group without renaming important components of my website and really mess up other things.  Hopefully it is just taking time for Google to figure out I fixed the data feed problem.

 

Maybe I can delete the products in question from the feed instead of just updating the feed.  Then I can re-upload the feed.  Well, its something to try. 

 

But since the Merchant Center confirms that there are no more problems with the feed, I figured it was on the Adwords end of things.

 

Thanks for the help!

Re: Product Extension won't validate...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the suggestion.  The new campaign still fails to validate.  I think you are correct that something between Adwords and Merchant Center is failing to update that the problem was fixed.  Hopefully it will catch up quickly enough.

 

That gives me an idea.  I can probably update my feed once by hand to create a new grouping.  Filter by the new grouping with an "or" for the correct grouping that was blocked, and maybe get it showing my Product Extensions until it gets the error flag cleared for the original grouping.  I think I'll try that...