AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Problems with Remarketing and Conversion tags

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Good afternoon all,

Recently Google presented me with a new problem that didn't show before: in my GDN campaigns, when I go to the "Display Network" tab, then "Summary", there's an alert telling me I've got 2 critical problems that need correction.

One of them is the Remarketing tag (which I configured a couple of months ago), where it says it has been inactive in the last 7 days, thus not populating my remarketing lists with website visitors. I am currently looking into it.

The other is more intriguing: Conversions Tag. It says that my conversion tag is not active and the conversions aren't being tracked. But here's the thing: I am running branding campaigns only to raise awareness to my client's brand. I never intended to have a conversions tag, and there isn't an action in the landing page that can be considered a conversion. Therefore, I never even tried to install a conversion tracking tag.

How come Google AdWords is telling me this is a critical problem? How can I get around this issue, as I'm still en route to becoming a Partner Agency, so I'm trying to keep the accounts clean and tidy? And having "critical problems" surely won't help me Smiley Sad

Thanks in advance

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Problems with Remarketing and Conversion tags

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Carlos,

I would take it with a grain of salt here. Google can't always know the exact intent of every campaign we run. In general, having conversion tracking is a good idea and likely why it is being suggested.

That said, I'm not exactly sure where you're seeing these messages. I would take a look at Tools > Conversions and see if by chance there is anything set up in there. You can turn any potential tags off etc...as you see fit.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for your reply Tommy.

I just went through the steps you described. That would be the place to go indeed to turn those tags off. But it turns out there's nothing set up under Tools > Conversions. In fact, the whole thing was untouched.

As I said, this just started showing recently. I can't recall seeing this alert in the last week or so. Maybe it is something that came with the latest interface update.

But the fact is that this really bothers me. Although I know it doesn't impact my campaign objectives, there's that underlying feeling there's something wrong and that I may be punished in the Partners best practices assessment.

If you have any further thoughts I'm all ears!

Cheers!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Carlos T;

To follow with Tommy, can you upload a screenshot showing this alert. I don't see any alerts in the "summary" tab of  a display campaign.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi MosheTLV

Let's try and look at the screenshots. Unfortunately it's all in Portuguese, but I'll fill you in on what goes on.

First, here's the alert under Display Network > Summary:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/26aqmx1xd443enz/screen1%20critical.png?dl=0
It tells me of 2 'critical' problems. First one it's about my Remarketing tag being inactive. Second one is my Conversions Tag being inactive.

Second one, from that same screen, when I scroll down I see this: under my ad group settings, it tells me 1 ad group has active lists (surprisingly, it's the Remarketing list):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozwwi0059kcez2x/screen2%20lista%20ativa%20.png?dl=0

I get further confused when I go into Public Library > Target Audiences, where I see the lists and on the upper right there are green checks telling me everything is alright with my Remarketing Tag:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ww5wg4nvs8i1ike/screen3%20tags%20working.png?dl=0

On this last screen, list says "all conversions". I tried to select this list and removing it, but the "Remove" button remains greyed out. Removing it is not an option...

Therefore, I'm very confused about whether there's something wrong with my Remarketing tag and, on top of that, I get this warning about an inactive Conversion Tag which I never wanted in the first place.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Carlos T;

This is interesting.... Never seen this  type of warning on the "display summary", before.

Did you check the remarketing tag using tag  assist?

Could it be that you have more than one remarketing tag installed? 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi @MosheTLV
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately we don't use Google Tag Assistant and I don't have permission to edit the code myself. However, I do have our web developers team right in front of me all the time Smiley Happy

So here's what I did: went into Shared Library > Target Audiences and then I created a new Remarketing List. But this time around, I chose to use the specific Google AdWords Remarketing Tag.
I copied the code provided by AdWords and instructed our web developers to paste it into all pages of the website. They did it on Friday and now my Remarketing is back in business.

As I recall, the first time around I had set up Remarketing by using the same Google Analytics tag that's used to link GA and AdWords. If memory serves me right, AdWords allows you to choose between those 2 options: using the Analytics Tag or a Google AdWords tag. I went for the easiest option then. The reason why it had stopped working is still a mystery to me.

Anyway, my problem is partially solved now. Remarketing is back, but I still have to find a way around the Conversion Tag issue. Here's how my Summary alerts look like now:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3wqgsieu7cr6rb/screen4%201%20prob.png?dl=0

I'm waiting for the AdWords support team to get back to me, but in the meantime any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Carlos

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Carlos T

This is a code issue. The programmer / developer should re-check and verify that  the code is properly installed.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had the same issue with a quite easy solution.

The situation: I wanted to start a Remarketing campaign in AdWords for an audience which was imported from Analytics. My Adwords and Analytics Account were linked. AdWords told me that the conversion tag was not active.

The easy solution: Remarketing was not activated in my Analytics Property settings. Nearly directly after activating it, my campaign began with showing impressions. But it took a few days for the "critical problem hint" in AdWords to disappear.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.