AdWords
852 members online now
852 members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Problem with uploading adgroup level sitelinks - same link text?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone!

I have recently upgraded to the new version of the Adwords Editor and tried to upload adgroup level sitelinks to a campaign but it seems like that adgroup level sitelinks are not that advanced as I thought or I am doing something wrong.

Practically, I tried to upload a sitelink with the same link text to several adgroups, but in each of these adgroups they would have got a different Destination URL.

Something like this:

Campaign 1    Adgroup A        Link Text A      Destination URL A

Campaign 1   Adgroup B        Link Text A      Destination URL B

Campaign 1   Adgroup C        Link Text A      Destination URL C

Campaign 1   Adgroup D        Link Text A      Destination URL D

However, when I upload my sitelinks, I get an error message "The same campaign is specified more than once - with conflicting settings. Only the first orrurrence has been applied", and when the sitelinks are uploaded, they look like this:

Campaign 1   Adgroup A        Link Text A      Destination URL A

Campaign 1   Adgroup B        Link Text A      Destination URL A

Campaign 1   Adgroup C        Link Text A      Destination URL A

Campaign 1   Adgroup D        Link Text A      Destination URL A

All adgroups get the destination URL. Is there any way to get around this? I would need to use the same link text for all these sitelinks but with different destination URLs (each time a different product highlighted on the same listing).

What I tried and seemed to work -  although this is a very manual manipulation and maybe gets disapproved is that I uploaded each link text with appending some characters (%,$,@, etc.) to each of them, thus making them unique, posting the changes, and after posting the changes removing these characters. This way I could have my "Link Text A" 4 times with different landing pages. However, the problem with this is that some link texts I want to use up to 150-200 times, so this is very time consuming.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Dora

(P.S: Within one adgroup, each link text and each destination URL only appears once (destination URL-s are different than the destination URL of the adgroup's ads). So the conflict arises between adgroups, not within)

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dora K
September 2015

Re: Problem with uploading adgroup level sitelinks - same link text?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
At the moment, CSV Import and Add Multiple tools won't let you create two distinct sitelinks with the same text, anywhere in the account. It's a limitation of these tools - you can still create such sitelinks by hand.

We plan to introduce a setting in the next release which would tell Editor to identify duplicate sitelinks either by text alone (as now), or by the combination of text and URL. Your example would work as you expect with this second option.

Meanwhile, you can try this workaround. In your spreadsheet, add a distinctive suffix to each sitelink text, like this:

Campaign 1 Adgroup A Link Text A_WithUrlA_ Destination URL A
Campaign 1 Adgroup B Link Text A_WithUrlB_ Destination URL B
Campaign 1 Adgroup C Link Text A_WithUrlC_ Destination URL C
Campaign 1 Adgroup D Link Text A_WithUrlD_ Destination URL D

The actual form of the suffix doesn't matter - just something that would make the text of each sitelink unique. Import this file - that would create four distinct sitelinks, but with "mangled" text. Finally, run Replace Text tool across all sitelinks to replace _WithUrlA_ with empty text, effectively removing it (and the same for other suffixes); you'll end up with sitelinks having the same text and different URLs.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dora K
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
At the moment, CSV Import and Add Multiple tools won't let you create two distinct sitelinks with the same text, anywhere in the account. It's a limitation of these tools - you can still create such sitelinks by hand.

We plan to introduce a setting in the next release which would tell Editor to identify duplicate sitelinks either by text alone (as now), or by the combination of text and URL. Your example would work as you expect with this second option.

Meanwhile, you can try this workaround. In your spreadsheet, add a distinctive suffix to each sitelink text, like this:

Campaign 1 Adgroup A Link Text A_WithUrlA_ Destination URL A
Campaign 1 Adgroup B Link Text A_WithUrlB_ Destination URL B
Campaign 1 Adgroup C Link Text A_WithUrlC_ Destination URL C
Campaign 1 Adgroup D Link Text A_WithUrlD_ Destination URL D

The actual form of the suffix doesn't matter - just something that would make the text of each sitelink unique. Import this file - that would create four distinct sitelinks, but with "mangled" text. Finally, run Replace Text tool across all sitelinks to replace _WithUrlA_ with empty text, effectively removing it (and the same for other suffixes); you'll end up with sitelinks having the same text and different URLs.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Igor,

Thanks a lot for the clarification!
Is there any way to bulk replace text?
So replace
"_WithURLA_"
"_WithURLB_"
"_WithURLC_"
"_WithURLD_"
at the same time, not one by one?

Kind Regards
Dora

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
This is what you can do. Make sure all suffixes have some common piece of text in them - in our example, "_WithURL". After import, enter this text into Quick Search box at the top right corner - you should now see only the sitelinks that have the suffix, that is, the sitelinks you've just imported. Select them all: the Link Text box at the bottom shows <varies>. Enter "Link Text A" into that text box - this will bulk-update the text of all those sitelinks to the same value, effectively erasing all suffixes.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Has this been updated already? When dealing with large number of groups this solution does not scale well

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Igor, In the meantime I have found out a simple Editor setting solves it (not sure if this was already available the time I posted this question, or was added later). Just go to Tools -> Settings -> General and opt for "Create new sitelink if destination URL is different" (you can also change your normal ad settings). This solves it perfectly.

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
Yes, this has been fixed a while ago. There's an option under Tools > Settings (on Windows) or AdWords Editor > Preferences (on Mac) you can use to choose whether a CSV row with the same sitelink text but different URL should create a new sitelink or update an existing one. For details, see

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/38872