AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Problem with destination URL

HJL
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
HJL
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having problems with a destination URL from our website that (as far as I know/can see) has not been added to my account.  However, when I click on one of our ads (using either the Analysis Tool or just Google), this page is displayed but I cannot find it within the account info so I cannot edit it.  I found a thread from someone who also appeared to be having this problem but it solved itself so no solution was offered. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author HJL
September 2015

Re: Problem with destination URL

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi HJL,
That's great!! HAHA - yes, it is a full time job - one day at a time.... Always feel free to post additional questions or issues here for help!

View solution in original post

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi HJL,
To clarify - when you click on your live Google Ads you're being taken to a Landing Page that you did not choose in your Account?
If so, here are two things to check -
1. Auto Tagging - Is Google Analytics Auto Tagging turned on? To check, log into your AdWords Account and click on the gear button on the right, top hand corner of your screen, and select Account Settings. On the Preferences screen (left hand side navigation), you should see a section that says Tracking. If Auto Tagging is turned on, that means that Google is automatically appending a tracking snippet so that you can track your AdWords traffic via Google Analytics. You can turn it off in this screen. Auto Tagging is great for tracking AdWords in Analytics, but it doesn't work for every site.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752125?hl=en

2. Are you using Keyword Destination URLs and Ad Destination URLs? If so, Keyword Destination URLs will always show in favor of Ad Destination URLs. To see your Keyword Destination URLs, log into AdWords and click on the Keywords tab. Select the Columns button, then select Destination URL under the Attributes menu. This will show you if you have Keyword Destination URLs. If so, verify that this is where you want your traffic sent.

Finally, are you doing any kind of affiliate program? There is a chance that if you're doing an affiliate program that an affiliate is bidding on your Keywords and driving traffic to your site and their Ads are showing instead of yours.

HJL
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
HJL
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
To clarify - yes, I am being taken to a landing page which I have not specified, although it is part of the website.
1) I do have Auto-tagging on as we do use Google Analytics but I do not understand why it would affect a landing page that I have not specified? Could it be something within the Analytics set up though? I have just looked at Adwords

2) Yes, I am using keyword destination URL's but I have already checked these and the ad destination URLs as well

3) No, not doing any affiliate program

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi HJL,
No, it's not something inside of Analytics, but when you use Auto Tagging, Analytics will automatically append a tracking string to the end of your URLs. Sometimes this tracking string doesn't work for every site and could perhaps go to a 404 page. The page you're being redirected to - is it an error page?

HJL
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
HJL
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No, it's not an error page. It is a page which is pretty relevant to the ad (and the search term I used when I discovered this problem) but it is out of date and I just don't want it as a landing page. Neither do I want to remove this page from the website!

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi HJL,
One suggestion - do you use AdWords Editor? Via AdWords Editor you can download your entire Account into a spreadsheet - including all Destination URLs and search for this specific URL. That could tell you where it's coming from. My guess is that somewhere in your Account, maybe an old Ad or different Keyword, the Destination URL is matched to. If not, then my guess is that perhaps there is a technical glitch with the page you're trying to drive traffic to and it's redirecting all traffic to this page.

HJL
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
HJL
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok - I've located it using Adwords Editor, but its strange that I couldn't get to it just using Adwords? Hopefully that has sorted the problem. Thank you - I now need to get my head around Adwords Editor! This is a full time job!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author HJL
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi HJL,
That's great!! HAHA - yes, it is a full time job - one day at a time.... Always feel free to post additional questions or issues here for help!